Mash Temp + Cara-pils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
Cara-pils is a nice crystal grain that adds head retention, body and mouthfeel to a beer and it's a grain that I have really grown to love.

I am thinking about brewing a very light summertime session beer that everyone can enjoy with a targeted OG of around 1.047. I'd like for this beer to be very dry and crisp.

The grain bill is:
93% 2 row
6% cara-pils
1% crystal 10

How would mashing low vs high in temp differ with the cara-pils in the grain bill? If I mashed at 148 would I still get some body with the cara pils in there? I guess my concern is that there isn't much in the grain bill and I'm concerened a mash temp that is too low will make it almost water like.....then again if this is a beer for the masses I guess their already used to that type of beer :D

Carapils is a crystal grain (anything that starts with cara- is a crystal malt) and you've already got crystal malt in there. 7% crystal is quite a bit, but not over-the-top depending on what you're making.

There are many things that go into body- mash temp is one, ingredients are another, mash thickness is one, etc.

I guess I'd be hesitant to mash anything except an IIPA at 148. If you're making a cream ale or something, that would be fine at 148-149, but then I wouldn't be worried about body! A beer mashed at lower temperatures (but for longer time, to ensure conversion) will tend to be more fermentable than a beer mashed at higher temperatures, but more than temperature goes into it. Yeast strain attenaution, recipe, etc, all play a part as well.

Back