adding bourbon to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
Hey guys. I want to add bourbon to a beer I'm thinking of making. Question is @ what stage do I do this ? I've heard right after your finish chilling and ur about to rake ur beer into the fermenter and I've also heard u add whiskey about 3-5 days before bottling.

Can anyone provide insight ?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend against adding the bourbon before fermentation. Although I doubt you're going to add a large amount of it, adding it before primary fermentation is going to increase the alcohol content of your beer, which has the possibility of stressing your yeast (since bourbon is typically added to very strong ales in the first place).

I would personally recommend adding the bourbon at packaging (bottling/kegging) and rack on top of it to get a good mix, unless you are going to be aging the beer and/or adding oak, in which case I would add employ a secondary fermenter and do it there.

Latest posts

Back