CO2 Cartridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
I have a mini kegs system that I just love. The only drawback is the expense of the CO2 bulbs. My question is, Can the CO2 bulbs used for BB guns be used to force the beer out? They are identical in size and would fit perfectly. The only drawback that I can see is that the package says not for human consumption. My response is that the last time I checked all CO2 is not for human consumption. CO2 is CO2 right? I have taken my 5 pound take to the local fire equipment, welding and paintball place for refill and used it without any problems. What is the difference?

What is the forums thoughts??

TD

I've used them and they work fine. On my C02 gun the BB gun cartridges are a little small. I just put a penny at the bottom and it works great.

I use the 12 grams in my party star, its a little smaller so i stick something at the bottom. (penny idea sounds great, now where can i find a penny...) anyway i read some place that most people fill their big tanks at welding shops, and i dont believe that, that co2 is food grade, so we are fine!!

From what I've read, there are (or CAN BE) oils in the BB gun cartridges that can cause issues and funky flavors.

I've used the BB gun cartridges many times without any problems, but it's possible some brands do have oil in them. They work a lot better for taking a keg to a party than hauling my 20lb CO2 bottle, though.

Back