I think I made a huge mistake :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
When I racked my belgian to secondary, I added some potassium metabisulfite to it. It was really a small amount, maybe two grams per 6 gallons...

I really don't know why I did it. I just got this powder, and I read that it "stabilizes" the beer, so I added it.

After I bottled yesterday, I realized that potassium metabisulfite might kill all the yeast in the beer, and now it is very probable that the beer will not carbonate....

I don't know what to do now. Add some fresh yeast to each bottle? Or just wait and see if it carbonates...?

Potassium metabisulfite does not stabilize yeast or prevent renewed fermentation, so you should be fine. Potassium sorbate is what is commonly used to stabilize. Potassium metabisulfite is most commonly used as a wine preservative. The only time that potassium metabisulfite is useful in stabilization is before using potassium sorbate. The potassium metabisulfite kills any MLF bacteria before you add the sorbate, which would cause a geranium aroma otherwise.

Back