Congealed Wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
The back story.
I boiled up some wort a few weeks ago so I would have some ready to when i was ready to get my started going. It was a good time and I even made a yeast starter for the kicks of it. Everything went well with the initial starter. I took the rest of the wort and caned it. Yes I did place it in the pressure cooked and let it sit for about 60 min. Figured nothing would live after an hour at about 10 lbs. The wort chilled overnight in the pressure cooker. The little pop tops were sucked in and I have a good seal. I actually had to pry the tops off when I poured the wort in the 1 liter beaker it was THICK I mean thick I had to boil up some water to thin it out enough for the stir bar to actually turn it at a decent revolution. The was no off smells or anything. What do you think..

I've only canned wort once, so I don't claim to be an expert. Personally, I wouldn't use the wort you have canned, though I have no idea what might be wrong with it.

what was the mash schedule and malt used?
How long from mash to canning?
Did you boil the wort besides the canning process?
What temp was the wort when you opened it up and found it thick/gel state?
How was it stored after canning?

TD

I don't remember what the schedule was I just grabbed some gain and crushed it with a rolling pin and mashed out till I reached the gravity I wanted what that was I don't remember. I did boil it for a bit then canned it immediately.

The back story.
I boiled up some wort a few weeks ago so I would have some ready to when i was ready to get my started going. It was a good time and I even made a yeast starter for the kicks of it. Everything went well with the initial starter. I took the rest of the wort and caned it. Yes I did place it in the pressure cooked and let it sit for about 60 min. Figured nothing would live after an hour at about 10 lbs. The wort chilled overnight in the pressure cooker. The little pop tops were sucked in and I have a good seal. I actually had to pry the tops off when I poured the wort in the 1 liter beaker it was THICK I mean thick I had to boil up some water to thin it out enough for the stir bar to actually turn it at a decent revolution. The was no off smells or anything. What do you think..

You probably boiled all the liquid out of the wort if it was in the pressure cooker for an hour at 10 pounds of pressure. May be able to rehydrate with boiled water. Then check SG.

It sounds to me like you made your own extract.

After that much effort, I'd make beer with it.

What Original Specific Gravity did you want for your beer?

If I remember it was 1.035
I would have made a beer but the grain was old, and I did not have any hops.
I checked it today and it is down to 1.025 so it is doing it's thing.

You probably boiled all the liquid out of the wort if it was in the pressure cooker for an hour at 10 pounds of pressure. May be able to rehydrate with boiled water. Then check SG.

OP, did you forget to mention that the jars have a lot less liquid in them than before you put them in the pressure canner?

I did not lose a lot of fluid but there was some. After taking a better look at some of the other Mason Jars of wort it looks like a lot of hot break, and trub

2013-12-21_13-50-36_704.jpg

2013-12-21_13-51-04_275.jpg

I did not lose a lot of fluid but there was some. After taking a better look at some of the other Mason Jars of wort it looks like a lot of hot break, and trub

Well that kills flars explanation.

Well the starter has been doing it's job slowly decreasing the gravity since last night, but I have not seen any of the traditional indicators of fermentation but when checking the gravity and taking a big whiff every now and then it smelled like fermentation (YUM). In another thread someone is talking about a saison contaminating their gear and the argument is if he used a brett or not and got contaminated. This got me thinking because my wife got me a kit for Christmas and it is a saison "What the Fox Saison" from Austin Homebrew. Dont judge she was trying to make a funny. :) So I have never brewed a with a brett it is now a learning experience. I am using WLP560 we shall see... To me

Took a final gravity reading and I am fully fermented out. I broke the Refractometer and re-taught myself how to use it. Original gravity 1.043 corrected and it finished at 1.006 corrected.

Now to let the yeast sedle and I will be golden. Here are a few pics.

On another note the boy lost 2 teeth in 2 days.

2013-12-23_18-22-43_195.jpg

2013-12-23_18-22-30_422.jpg

2013-12-23_18-22-19_298.jpg

2013-12-21_20-18-48_116.jpg

2013-12-21_20-18-24_589.jpg

Back