need some help with a Chai.p.a

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncommonsense

Reaction score
I want to make an ipa and use some chai tea features in it but I'm not sure how much of the spices or when I should add the black tea

The spices I wanna use are cardamom, ginger, and cloves

Make a tea with them and add it to taste at bottling. That way you have control over the flavors and you reduce the risk of over doing it.

Are you thinking of going with American hops? That combination just doesn’t strike me as a good, it might work better with some earthier/spicier/herbal European hops.

That sounds awesome, but I have a thought. This may be completely naive, but I just want to put it out there, because I'd love to hear if/how the "chai.p.a." works:

Tea & coffee do have a certain amount of oils in them that separate out after a short amount of time. I worry for you that those oils might affect the head retention of your beer. Might it be a good idea to brew the tea, let it cool & separate, and skim off the top "oil slick" layer?

Let us know how it turns out!

Head retention is overrated. Nice to have, but not necessary.

Definitely add at bottling time. I think EKG or Fuggle is a good hop choice... or if you really wanted something interesting you maybe could use some German noble hops.

hinsy said:
That sounds awesome, but I have a thought. This may be completely naive, but I just want to put it out there, because I'd love to hear if/how the "chai.p.a." works:

Tea & coffee do have a certain amount of oils in them that separate out after a short amount of time. I worry for you that those oils might affect the head retention of your beer. Might it be a good idea to brew the tea, let it cool & separate, and skim off the top "oil slick" layer?

Thanks thes a good idea I did think of that

hinsy said:

Cold brewing is how you control the extraction of the oils & tannins in coffee and tea.. Never had any problems with head.. I think it adds to your head.. That's what the coffee in my apa did.

Latest posts

Back