Bubbles from wort are getting into airlock bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 34291

Reaction score
I just brewed an IPA last night that yielded six gallons. This morning I checked on it and the bubbles from the wort are getting really high up into the neck of the carboy. I come back a few hours later and i can see that the water in the airlock is kinda cloudy with some flecks of fermentables in it.

Do i need to rack some beer off so that its not this close to the top? or is this fine. Will I get an infection?

your beer will be fine, just don't rack any of it off....

Remove the airlock, clean it out, saw or break off the chriscross at the bottom of the airlock (that's what's causing the clog), re-sanitize it then rig up an airlock blowoff tube.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

The hose I used came from my bottling wand, you must have a piece of hose from something in your kit lying around..with a slit in the side to make a snug fit.

I cut the "x"'s off all the 3 piecers when I get them..

search forums for "blow off tube" and use one of those. otherwise, don't worry, what i've done in the past is, every 5-6 hours i'll check on it, if the krausen overloading the airlock, I'll prepare a starsan solution, remove airlock and clean it with starsan, quickly remove the stopper and clean that, then take a clean paper towel, soak in starsan and wipe all around the lip of the carboy and the neck, then replace stopper and airlock. in the future, blow off tube is the way to go though

my airlock doesnt have those X's on the bottom, it came clear. Ill righ up a blow off tube tonight. Thanks guys.

Back