BG higher then OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizoune

Reaction score
I just finished my first no sparge batch. Everything went quite well. I took my BG coming out of the mash tun and it came in at 1.056. After boiling for an hour, my OG going into the fermenter was at 1.050. Usually, boiling concentrates the sugars and the OG is higher than the BG. Has anybody have this happen to them? If so, what gives? Any ideas?

What temp did you take readings at? Hydrometers are calibrated for 60 or 70 degreesF If one was hot and the other cold that would be the difference.

Temps were both at 70F using 2 different hydrometers, just to make sure. Results were consistent with both.

Well, it is impossible to have a lower POST boil SG than PRE boil SG, so it is an incorrect measurement. Unless of course you added water.

When you say no sparge, did you mash with ALL of your water then?

Please tell me you didnt add water after the mash was complete, then drain.

Please tell me you didnt add water after the mash was complete, then drain.

Huh...yeah! Mashed in at 1.4 qt/lbs with about 5 gallons. After conversion, added another 4.5 gallons to my MLT, vorlaufed and drained to my kettle. Coming out of the MLT, it was 1.056. Maybe I should have taken a gravity reading in the kettle. Or would that not made a difference?

Well, I solved the mystery.

You added water to the mash, vorlaufed (DID NOT make the wort homogenous), had more concentrated wort at the bottom of the MLT, more dilute at the top where you put the "sparge" water... and took a sample of the more concentrated wort from the MLT.

You need to take the PRE boil SG from the kettle, well stirred, just prior to boiling.

Mystery solved, next? :)

Back