primary fermenter for small batch brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHammer

Reaction score
Hey,
I have been thinking about going smaller. I want to start doing 2.5 gallon batches instead of the 5 gal i have been because I want to turn over my beers faster to get more variety. My equipment is all sized for 5 gal obviously and I am trying to figure out what I need to make the switch. Is there any reason why I can't continue to use my brew bucket as a primary fermenter? I know that there will be a lot of head space but if I only plan on doing a primary in there and only leaving it in as long as that takes the co2 created by fermentation should blanket the beer and keep it safe. right? If not, what would you recommend?
thanks for the advice

Fermenting bucket, Brewing in it will make it taste like plastic.:D

Seriously, some will only use a primary vessel. I know a lot of guys that only use a primary and make some excellent beer. As long as you don't open the primary, you will be golden. When you use secondaries you want the head space to be minimal (because of not much C02 is being released).

They do sell 2.5 carboys.

Happy brewing.

I use the same brew buckets for 2.5 gallon batches all the time. You'll be fine.

so as long as I am only doing a primary I am ok? Good, that is what I was hoping to hear. And I figure if I want to secondary I do have 1 gal carboys for my winemaking or I could use a corny and just purge with CO2 right?
thanks again:rockin:

Any of those options are fine for a secondary. Most of us around here have given up on a secondary and just do a long primary unless you are using fruit or dry hopping and we've all had good results. Search a bit and you'll find tons of info on both methods. For most beers using a secondary is not needed.

Most of us around here have given up on a secondary and just do a long primary.

We would have to take a vote. There are threads that go either way. I personally do the secondary route to free up my primaries (for future brews) and it makes clearer beer (for me any ways). Most important thought I have is, the big boys that have conicals won't leave their beer on trub for more than necessary (I don't mind the extra hour or so to transfer). I have my beer in fermenters for an entire month. Two primaries and two secondaries lets me do this and still have beer to drink readily.

On a side note, I go one month at 12 psi for carbing before drinking.
This guy goes three weeks in primary (apparently no secondary) and at four weeks in the bottle he is happy with his carbonation.

(Thanks Revvy, he first posted this link in 2008)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back