Too cold for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio18

Reaction score
So I pitched an Irish Red Ale last night using Wyeast American Ale II and this morning the sticky thermometer on the bucket is reading ~65F. This is the very bottom of the range according to the smack pack label...should I try to warm it up or should I be ok? I assume it should be slightly warmer inside the bucket due to active fermentation.

after reading your comments I looked it up on the Wyeast website...does say 60-72. Strange that the pack itself says 65-72. Oh well, thanks!

Should be fine. I've been trying to get my ferm. temps down, so I actually have a porter (Wyeast irish ale) and an IPA (s-05) fermenting at 50-59 in the cold cellar. Both have nice big krausens and all kinds of yeast-orgies happening inside.

My theory is that once things get going, they heat things up inside enough that it's all good. It's better to lean on the side of too cold rather than too warm, right??

My theory is that once things get going, they heat things up inside enough that it's all good.

Good theory. I plan to ferment my next batch with WLP001 at 60F since I've been reading its seems to do well at that temperature. White Labs recommends 68-73.

Back