New from San Antonio TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
Hi, I have been making wine for many years but I have only brewed a few beers. I drink wine, my husband drinks beer so I make beer for him, wine for me. We recently moved and I have the option of having my own work space for brewing/vinting. I am excited about the possibilites and all the new things I will get to try with brewing/vinting. Still have a way to go on the set up of the new space but it is very promising. I have a full two car garage with any plumbing or electrical I want since my husband is a plumber and his good friend is an electrician. Anyone with any must have info, please send me suggestions. I look forward to sharing information and lots of input.

Janet:D

Welcome to HBT :mug:

I like wine too, but I'd rather make beer. I just don't have the patience for wine. Good luck with your new setup.

Hello Janet. Here is one I'm sure you have already thought of, you will want a nice big sink in your brewing area. IMHO one of the nicest things you could have.

Enjoy HBT, Ron

Thanks for the welcome guys. Thanks Ron, Yes I have a blank wall about 6' long that has hot & cold water and a drain right behind it so we are going with a double utility sink set up. Hopefully we can start working on it after the first of Feb. when our office slows down for rodeo month. In San Antonio, half the town shuts down for rodeo so our work will be slow and we will have time to get started. My science projects :cross: are taking up about 1/2 the kitchen right now.

Welcome! I used to live in Balcones Heights for a short time. Don't miss living there.

another fellow San Antonian Welcome

say I did'nt run
into you at San Antonio Homebrew Supply were you the one getting the ascorbic powder and askin bout port kits?

:mug:

Hi, no never been there. Heard it was not so good, I order everything on line. the only thing I get local is bottles, buckets due to shipping costs. It would be nice to have a real stocked home brew shop. There used to be one in Boerne that was really nice but it closed up. I have been toying with the idea of opening a home brew shop, if I had access to odering items wholesale. I don't know any other people in San Antonio that brew, guess I need to get out more and get more experiance before I entertain these ideas. What is your take on the local store?

well we have two in town now as Homebrew Fetish opened a couple of weeks

ago mostly extracts and mr beer kits

he is on bandera across the street from the leon valley courthouse

but San Antonio Homebrew Supply has lots of stuff

he can make you a kit just like you order online

has these 3 ring binders full of recipies

and he has some great draft beer on tap for 3 bucks a pint

Thanks for the heads up on the local stores. Guess you can't believe some of the reviews you read online. I will have to get down there sometime. I actually live & work on the outskirts or town in China Grove so leon valley is pretty far from me. The San Antonio Homebrew would be much closer/ easier to get to.

I thought I'd throw out my two cents regarding the LHBS' here in San Antonio. I have been going to SA Homebrew Supply on Saint Mary's for years now, love the service and the atmosphere. It would be nice if they would clean up a bit, and come into the 21st century with a website, but those are small quarrels of mine. I have read quite a few reviews on them, mostly bad, but from my personal experience it's a great place to shop/drink.

I've also been to the new Homebrew Fetish on Bandera a couple of times. Since it's so new you can't really go in there expecting too much. He has a few shelves with kits and some basic supplies, a rather dismal yeast selection, but I have emailed him questions and supplies requests which he has responded to quickly and actually ordered my desired yeast selection.

The upside to hbf is the website (homebrewfetish.com) with current info, specials, and what he has in stock.

I still prefer SAHBS as he keeps a good all-around stock on hand, but I do live right next to HBF so hopefully as his business grows he will be able to increase what he is able to keep on hand.

Welcome Janet. Good to see another San Antonio folk here. SAHBS is ok for last minute stuff. I like their 7 gal buckets. Plus you can have a pint while shopping.

Will you be doing kegging? If so kegconnection is out of san marcos, but you can only order online. Natwel Supply for co2 fills, and Airgas for co2 exchanges.

Welcome from another Texan!
I'm certain you'll want a walk-in fridge for bottle/keg storage, possibly a beerline and faucets thru-wall to a wetbar area? ;)
I'm jealous!

Wow, there is quite a San Antonio contingency here. I just started last weekend and bought my basics through Home Brew Fetish. He even hooked up the Significant Other with a Rootbeer kit for him and the daughter unit. I live over on the Seaworld side of town but work in San Marcos.

Welcome skelegirl; I live about 5 mins from sea world so hbf is really convenient for me also. I was really excited when I heard about it opening.

Welcome Janet, another SA member. There's a bunch of us now huh? Well, I'm part time SA, part time Fort Worth for now.

I've been to the LHBS on St. Mary's a couple times to get some last minute equipment or yeast. They've ended up having what I was looking for and I didn't have to wait or pay for shipping. I still get most of my stuff online due to convenience and I can have it shipped to my house in Fort Worth where I do my brewing.

Enjoy the south Texas weather, it beats the snow any day!

Back