Energy Efficient Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed2670

Reaction score
My thoughts on an efficient way to apply a water bath (if you have a swimming pool like me):

I usually have to add hundreds of gallons of water a week in the summer in order to keep my pool full. Ambient temperature usually sits around the mid-80's but the tap water come outs at more like 65 degrees. If I ran the tap water through a rubbermaid with a temp controller and a sprinkler solenoid, I could keep the bath close to my ideal fermentation temperature and fill the pool at the same time. No energy required except for monitoring the temperature and turning the valve on.

The downside is that you can get no cooler than the water coming out of the faucet.

Anyone ever try controlling temp with tap water? I imagine it varies quite a bit between regions and season.

I have a temporary setup until I find a deal on a used chest freezer.

cooler, I have some sanitized water filled up about half way, then my carboy sits in the water bath. I put just a single frozen water bottle in before I go to work, and then one a bit after I get home, and it stays a constant 60-65. It honestly works TOO well. I made a faux lid out of a cardboard box I cut up.

Water bath is the most efficient method by far to buffer against temperature changes. I let my carboy sit in a 50 gal tub filled to about half way. I keep that in a cool, closed room and let it go! Its the most cheap worry-free system for myself and I live in Alabama. We regularly have 95 - 105*F days and I have never had an issue. That being said I can only achieve ale temperatures using this method. :/ Lucky for me I don't really care all that much about laggering atm.

Back