Cleaning Copper Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticmonkey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
A guy from work gave me a spool of unused copper tubing that he had stored in his garage for quite some time. I plan on using it for an immersion chiller. Although it doesnt have any green corrison know to copper it has lost its shine and is tarnished. Should I scrub this off or just clean it up good and leave the tarnish? And if I do need to get the tarnish off does anybody know any good ways to do this? Thanks.

"For routine cleaning of copper and other metals, percarbonate-based cleaners like PBW are the best choice. For heavily oxidized conditions, acetic acid is very effective, especially when hot. Acetic acid is available in grocery stores as white distilled vinegar at a standard concentration of 5% acetic acid by volume. It is important to use only white distilled vinegar as opposed to cider or wine vinegar because these other types may contain live acetobacteria cultures, which are the last thing you want in your beer."

How to Brew, Section 2.2.2 by John Palmer

You will find it shines up nicely after your first use because the acidity and heat in the wort will remove the tarnish. Unfortunately it will deposit it in your brew...

Boil the copper with some white vinegar in your brewpot before you use it.

Back