Just brewed my first batch ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millsteg

Reaction score
Just wanted to post and say I think I've successfully brewed my first extract batch ever! Worked off a Brewer's Best american amber kit and its sitting in the basement fermenting. Only 5 more days till I bottle!

Welcome to the obsession. It only gets worse from here!
Remember, more carboys equals more brew days :)

Yeah, i suppose I'm going to have to pull out the checkbook one of these days and get a few. I've already found myself on this forum more then anywhere else on the net these days.

You know, I've heard a lot about how long to keep the beer in the primary fermenter before either moving it to a carboy or bottling it. Any suggestions? Was sealed in the fermenter at about 10pm last wednesday night (Oct. 5th). I was planning on leaving it in there till this coming saturday (Oct. 15th) and either bottling it or moving it to a secondary if I decide to go get one.

Kit instructions are pretty infamous for being bad - we found it out the hard way. I'd leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks, no real reason for a secondary unless you're adding stuff IMHO. We bottled after 2 weeks on our kit, and its pretty cloudy stuff.

How long after the 2 weeks did you keep it in the bottles?

We've still got just under a case of it left in bottles and we brewed in late July so a couple months now. Carb levels are perfect, but we did so much wrong on it that its still tastes a little cidery. Its drinkable, but thats about all its got going for it. One of our BMC drinking friends loved it, so I guess thats something, right?

Temperature control is preached by the ones who know on this board, and its STILL underrated. Once we started using a swamp cooler, quality jumped way up.

I started sampling it after the recommended (in the kit I used at least) two weeks in the bottle. But the best bottle was after three weeks so be patient!

Temperature control is preached by the ones who know on this board, and its STILL underrated. Once we started using a swamp cooler, quality jumped way up.

What is a swamp cooler?? Does it come with my own little green monster? Haha but seriously

Do a quick search for swamp coolers, you'll get all kinds of threads but its basically a waterproof tub big enough for a carboy (or 2 in our case). Put the primary in, fill the tub with water and add ice bottles a couple times a day as needed to keep temp where the yeast like it. Then drape a wet tshirt over the top of the carboy thats hanging in your cool water, point a fan at it and boom, evaporative cooling. Not as good as a dedicated ferm chamber, but better than nothing.
Just remember that your water temperature is going to be lower than carboy temperature - yeast making the sexy will bring up temps in there by up to 10 degrees.

Latest posts

Back