filtering question - boiling into primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musikguru6

Reaction score
Hi all,

Still doing research before buing my first kit. I was wondering if a brew bucket filter bag is neccessary for transferring the cooled wort into the primary fermenter. I'll be doing two-stage with a glass carboy as my secondary, so is the filtering proces neccessary? Or do I want some of that "junk" in my primary for the fermenting process? Thanks everyone!!

I've never used a filter bag, but before I switched to a glass primary, I did use a strainer to help clean the wort as it went into the bucket. I suppose a strainer bag would be pretty much the same thing.

Hi, I've never used a filter. I whirlpool the wort before siphoning into primary (6.5 gal carboy) and then later on rack to 2ndary (5-gal Better Bottle), and ends up great for me. Not too much junk in primary, mostly gone when transferred to 2ndary, so nice bottles with just a little sediment.

I too don't bother with any kind of filter. if you cool the wort quickly it should be a thick sludge in the brew pot, and even if a little ends up in the fermenter, its fine. ideally you'll rack it to a secondary after 7-10 days, and can get it off any trub that came from the brew pot.

if you plan to use whole hops, put those in a nylon bag during the boiling for easier cleanup.

Back