On the ethics and legalities of acquiring bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
I have some local bars that I know the bartenders/proprietors fairly well. Two of them actually sell some good crafts! Every time I am at one of these establishments I see the bottles being thrown away, and I say to myself, "Self, you could do good things with those bottles, give them better futures than they are suffering with now." Even non-craft Michelob is a pry off now! I think they could bolster my bottle collection efforts without killing my liver trying to gain additional vessels.

My question is this, is it legal to trade those bottles for, say, a few homebrews at a later date? I have talked with these people about homebrewing in some cases and they seemed interested in the final products, processes, etc. But it dawned on me after leaving that these are great sources for bottles! Any thoughts on how to finesse these bottles out of the bars?

Because I think it would be a pain for them to keep them in a separate area, throw away twist offs and only put dark, pry off bottles to the side. I am going to ask, but wouldn't it be kinder to sweeten the pot a little?

Just ask them. I had a local pub that would save them for me so long as I collected them each weekend after close. Many pubs keep the cardboard cases they come in and justfill em with empties before they toss them out.

Most places around where I live case up the empties and ship em back to the distruibutor (sp?) for the bottle deposit credit on thier next order. If these establishments are really throwing out these bottles, offer them what they would get for the bottle deposit (here its a nickel a piece) so you spend a dollar for 20 bottles, but thenk you wouldnt have the fun of punishing your very naughty liver earning em the hard way

But then the bartender would not be able to throw the bottles in the trash making all that loud noise each time.

I hate that soooooooo much, hurts my eardrums every time. :mad:

Why even offer the homebrew? They will probably do it for free or for the cost of the deposit.

As far as the homebrew, it would be illegal, but its not something you would ever get thrown in the clink for, at least not here thats for sure.

I bought mine from a liquor store for the deposit cost. Not sure if that's an option in your area. If not, I agree with the others who posted. You could offer to separate the bottles too, if it comes down to that.

Yeah, just ask... I got like 10 cases of Fat Tire bombers from a place just down the road from me for nothing...

I do exactly this, at a local pub that doesn't even recycle. A couple of the bartenders and bar backs, all young people with a bent towards environmentalism, think its cool to save bottles for me when I come in, which isn't that often (once or twice a month, at most). It is extra work for them, but they seem to like doing it. I always leave with a case or two of bottles. And I have been known to give them a four-pack of handmade beer or cider. As I said, these are all young folks without much money, and they appreciate the free and good beer.

Agreed, just ask and you will be surprised by the amount of bottles you come away with.

Also, keep an eye on craigslist for freebies too. I get a lot that way.

We did this for wine bottles a couple times. I just approached the manager, brought my own rubbermaid bin, the servers just dumped the empties in the bin. After the weekend I picked up the bin, recycled the ones I could use, hosed out and cleaned the bottles I wanted and did it again until I had enough. Saving the Earth one beer or bottle of wine at a time.

Word. Make it easy for them and they'll do it without regard to reward.

Another alternative is to find a local place that does champagne brunches. I did that; got to know the management and glommed umpteen cases of champagne bottles that take a standard 26mm crown cap.

Hell, they'll even save Grolsch and other swing-top bottles for me if I give 'em something to bin 'em in.

Cheers,

Bob

Just go in, order a pint, and ask. My guess is it'll be just that simple. No ethics involved.

A bar in DC that is decidedly "green" does a "Bombers for Brewers" program where they save their 750ml Belgian corked and other 22oz bottles for local brewers. They just put them in milk crates and stash them in the alley.

When I called and said I was specifically looking for corked Belgian bottles, the owner got excited. Apparently, not many people ar elooking for those.

I've gone up there twice and come away with a total of 36 bottles. Plop them into a bin with Oxyclean and water for a day or two and the labels and sediment come right out. Rinse well. Presto! $75 worth of bottles, if I had purchased them new.

Latest posts

Back