Adding DME to boil kettle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey guys just another quick question. I have missed an OG before and had to boil up some DME on my stovetop after the boil process was over with my actual boil kettle and propane burner. This time I missed it again even though our efficiency is getting better. I was wondering if just throwing in DME in the end of the boil process and letting boil for 10-15 will effect anything in the beer. This saved us the headache of whipping stuff out again to work on the stove. Thanks.

Nope, not at all. By having a lower gravity in the boil will however increase your hop utilization, so you are going to end up with a tad more hop bitterness than expected. But as for 10-15 min that’s plenty of time to sanitize and dissolve the DME.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
Nope, not at all. By having a lower gravity in the boil will however increase your hop utilization, so you are going to end up with a tad more hop bitterness than expected. But as for 10-15 min that’s plenty of time to sanitize and dissolve the DME.

Cheers
Jay

Cool thanks. Yea taking readings throughout our process definitely helped us a lot. It was also so much easier just to dump dme into pur boil kettle and let it boil for 10-15 extra minutes rather having to break everything out and doing it on the stovetop.

I'd suggest taking a gravity reading BEFORE the boil and adjust with DME before doing your hop additions.

If you don't have a refractometer you can just take a few ounce sample and throw it in the freezer while heating the rest to a boil. Once it's down to 60-70F take your reading, adjust accordingly, and then toss it back in the kettle.

heckels said:
I'd suggest taking a gravity reading BEFORE the boil and adjust with DME before doing your hop additions.

If you don't have a refractometer you can just take a few ounce sample and throw it in the freezer while heating the rest to a boil. Once it's down to 60-70F take your reading, adjust accordingly, and then toss it back in the kettle.

I took a pre-boil reading and it was at about 1.035 with about 6.5 gallons of wort to boil and needed to get to 1.065. When we boiled down to about 5 gallons we were at 1.055...that's when I decided to add more dme cause I didn't want to anymore down and we neede to get to 1.065. How much water needs to boil down to raise it .010 points? Is there a calculation on boil gallon amounts vs. points on the hydro readings?

Back