How to get Co2 like Champagne or Pellegrino

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsnotamelia

Reaction score
Hey there,
My next batch I plan on making is a ginger beer. Will taste like non alcoholic ginger beer, but have actual alcohol content. If you've never had a ginger beer, think of a ginger ale, but with much more ginger to the point of being a bit spicy.
The body of the beer will resemble that of a pilsner and I want to have the ultra fizzy Co2 like the little bubbles that make up Champagne or Pellegrino.

Does anyone have any idea what causes those little Co2 bubbles to rise from the bottom of the glass/bottle?

Thankyou!
Amelia

Check out the soda threads regarding various forms of ginger beer, including by yeast and by gingerbeer plant (a sort of symbiotic yeast/bacteria thing like kefir grains).

You get carbonation by introducing CO2 to the liquid in a pressured environment. This is done either by force carbonating using a co2 tank, or natural carbing by letting yeast/gingerbeer plant eat sugar in a sealed environment.

If you want it as carbonated as sparking wine, or champagne style wine, you need a rather high amount of carbonation. More than you would beer. (meaning you need to make sure you have a vessel that can handle the carbonation level, like a champagne bottle.)

The rest is pretty loaded. There are studies and no one can still say exactly how champagne bubbles are formed. There are people who say that the carbonation styles are different, and that force carbing leaves a coarser bubble, whereas natural carbing gives a finer bubble.

Also, reducing the amount of ...things, yeast, protein, etc, in the liquid means that the bubbles will form slower.

There's so much, I think you'd better specify your question.

Champagne produces a finer bubble due to the size of the nucleation sites on the yeast cells. It seems to have the best geometry for producing very fine bubbles compared to the rest of the saccharomyces cerevesiae species.

Back