Now I know what you mean by sulfur!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I just went to secondary with my first real lager, an Oktoberfest with WLP820. It was in primary, between 40-45 degrees, and when I got to 75% of the way to target FG, I let it warm up to clean up the diacetyl.

I just went to secondary tonight after a month in primary, and went from 1.064 to 1.012, so all seemed well. Wooohee! Smells like rotten eggs. Now, I know lager yeast can do that, but how long does it take to clean it up?

Some lager yeasts produce a ton of hydrogen sulfide, some produce very little. Most produce somewhere in the middle. Just let it lager for about 8 weeks and you'll be fine. After lagering, you'll be saying to your beer, "wow, Oktoberfest, you clean up REAL nice!" If you're not force carbing, you'll want to add about 1/2 a packet of dry lager yeast per 5 gallons after that long lagering period... better safe than sorry.

Back