Scottish 70 Schilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankstoneline

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Us-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
14 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Smooth and malty with a touch of bitterness to balance and really nice caramel notes.
I brewed this up some time ago and I'm really happy with how it turned out, definitely going into the rotation of sessionable beers. Its got a really nice balance and allows the malts to take a prominent position in the flavor.

Note, most of the brews I do are 4 gallons, so I usually plan recipes for that size and scale as necessary if the occasion calls for it.

O.G. 1.041
F.G. 1.009
Color: 14 SRM
IBU: 24

Grist:
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
60% 4 0 Golden Promise
30% 2 0 Briess Munich Malt
8% 0 8 Barley, Flaked
2% 0 2 British Roast Barley

1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0 AA) @ 60 minutes, 23.6 IBU's

Pitched 1 packet US-05, fermented at 67*F 14 days.

Some process notes:
I took the first gallon or so of runnings and boiled them down on stove top in a small kettle I had until they were a thick, dark syrup. I think this contributed a lot to the complexity of the flavor this beer has, though I havent brewed it without doing this (a future process). To make up for this I collected an extra .75 gallons of wort. When I get around to it I'll try and remember to post more pictures.

At bottling:
scotch2.jpg

Latest posts

Back