Bubbling in air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-rad

Reaction score
I recently made my first ever hard cider, and for the first week or so I saw steady bubbles in the airlock + in the liquid. But, I took a look today for the first time since then (end of week two now) and it seems like all the bubbling has stopped. Nothing in the airlock, just small patches of bubbles/foam on the surface.

Is this normal, or should it still be bubbling in the airlock? Just want to make sure nothing is wrong so I don't wait another couple of weeks for nothing.

Thanks.

You NEVER wait for nothing. Anytime you wait it gives the yeast time to clean up their work. The air lock is not an indication of fermentation. Take an SG reading and see where you are at. A cider needs at least 4 weeks before you even thing about doing anything. Take an SG reading, chances are that after a week you are pretty close to done but now it needs to sit and settle, clear, and do its thing. What yeast did you use? What was your starting SG?

Its fine let it sit, rack it in 2 weeks and bottle it on December 19th. Not before :)

Latest posts

Back