primary fermenter clean up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just bottled an oatmeal stout. This is my first batch but now I am having trouble with the cleanup of my primary fermenter. I am using pbw. I added 1/4 cup and 5 gallons of warm water. I scrub with a sponge and then let it soak for 24 hours. It looks clean but when I let it dry I still smell my last beer. I just tried doubling the recommended dosage. Am i missing something?

If you have a tap on your fermenter,remove it & clean it out good. Also the hole where it goes in the fermenter. I have the Cooper's micro brew FV,& I smell old beer if I don't clean the tap & the threads in the hole in the FV.

Nah...you'll get that beer and hop smell. It is just part of the brewing experience.
As long as you clean and sanitize well, you'll be fine.

Fermentation is smelly and leaves residual odors in plastic. I just clean well and have found no traces in future beers.

Sure, you could soak it for days and days and get it neutral. I'd rather stink it up again with fresh beer.

I have the same issues with one of my Ale Pails.

I've found that if I soak them w/Oxyclean Free in HOT water for 24hrs, it takes care of most of the residual odor.

What's left after that is merely unavoidable and shouldn't be an issue.

odor will fade in time. i find it fades faster in glass primaries.

i remember cleaning one after a massive dry hop and thought i'd have to replace the entire thing. it was barely noticeable by the next brew session

I noticed that smell in my plastic buckets after washing so I just put the lid on. problem solved. By the time the next brew is beginning to ferment, I don't notice that smell at all. It doesn't affect the flavor of the next brew either.

Well,it was my concern that if I can smell it,there's some residue in there somewhere. Took out the tap,cleaned all that part up,no more smell. There was a noticeable residue upon inspection. Residue bad.

Yep all of my buckets smell like previous batches of ipas. Its fine and has never transferred to any of the beers after them. From the sound of it your doing everything spot on

I find that if I place my cleaned buckets upside down on a shelf, the odor dissipates within a week.

NRS

Back