Saison combining yeast Summer Brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
So, just sitting here with spinning wheels thinking about what to brew for a nice spring/summer brew. I had come across a beer called WeissBierPils and I don't think it's distributed in the states, but the idea of a hefe/lager really intrigued me. Would it be possible to do something like that with a Saison yeast, since it can normally finish a little high. For example, start off with 30/70 wheat/barley or so, and pitch the Saison first, let it ride and see how it goes in the middle of the temp range, then transfer to secondary and pitch a lager yeast for example, and drop the temperature down to the lager fermentation range to see how that goes. I've never had a saison, but the yeast descriptions sound good, so I really have no idea of what the actual flavor profile is. Like I said, just thinking out loud.

Keep in mind that much if not all of the taste in a saison is derived from the yeast. So you would have a distinctive saison taste plus a distinctive wheat taste. I'm not sure if that really works.

Having said that I once mixed a 1/2 glass of saison a 1/2 glass of english-style IPA and created (accidentally) an amazing drink! Bitter and sweet!

Why not give your experiment a shot? Go for it man!

Latest posts

Back