Quick question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
I am making Carmel Apple Mead. Those beautiful Crystal 60L grains that I am straining off, can they be reused to put in bread? They are so beautiful (and kind of tasty, I might add), that I don't want to waste them. They actually look like sweet feed. Anyone? Thank you!

I am making Carmel Apple Mead. Those beautiful Crystal 60L grains that I am straining off, can they be reused to put in bread? They are so beautiful (and kind of tasty, I might add), that I don't want to waste them. They actually look like sweet feed. Anyone? Thank you!
If you have a bread maker, you could always make some sort of brown loaf, but when you put the mix in chuck a handful of the grains in too.

Should give a nice tasting "whole grain" texture to the bread.

The rest could be frozen in small amounts for future loaves.....

You can google "spent grain bread" and get a bunch of recipes. I've made a few breads after brewing beer. They were delicious. Brooklyn Brew Shop's site has a recipe for pizza dough that I used to make edible bowls for chili. That was really good, and I plan to make it again. I might also try making pretzels someday.

If you save the grain, freeze it in 1 cup sized packages. Makes it easier to manage.

Oh yea...you guys rock...I couldn't believe how good they were! It is crushed grain, so I will put them in 1 cup increments!!! I just didn't know what kind they were. The recipe called for 3 pounds of Crystal 60L, didn't research anything, just ordered them for the mead. Don't do no grains in winemaking!!! Thanks again, will be looking forward to throwing a cupfull in my bread, this weekend! -Annie

This is a great idea !

I've always thought that the spent grains were pretty tasty, I usually just toss them on my compost pile but I'll try making a bread with them next time.

Latest posts

Back