Partigyle; Leave the trub for second boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
Today I brewed 7 gallons of barelywine with 1.102 OG. I collected 10 gallons of first runnings for the barleywine, and 12 gallons of second runnings which I boiled with 6lbs of Light DME to get 10 gallons of a "bonus" beer with O.G. 1.060. After crash cooling and collecting the wort for the barleywine I had some trub left over in the kettle. Normally I just toss this trub out, but I decided to leave it today because I thought there might be some goodness left (late addition hops to contribute bittering in the next batch, plus some residual sugars from the barleywine).

My question is whether there are any negative effects to leaving this trub in the kettle. When I left it in today it was last minute decision. At the time I couldn't think of any reason that this would cause a problem (other than the uncertainty of knowing exactly what my IBUs would be on the second batch, but I didn't care whether this bonus beer was true to any style). So, is this something that I should avoid doing in the future? Thanks.

My only concern would not be knowing how much AAs were left in the hop matter and how bitter it will make the beer. I guess if it were me I would have dumped it out real quick, but im sure it will be beer by the time you are done:mug:

Latest posts

Back