Igloo False Bottom Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been looking at getting one of the 10 Gallon Igloo coolers with a false bottom and ball lock valve. I have seen a couple different options for the false bottom and was wondering what the pros/cons are of each, and what people think about them.

Some I have notice have a ton of very small holes drilled, while others have slices taken out almost like with a rotary cutter or something similar.

Are there any advantages over one or the other?

My false bottom is stainless with medium small holes in it, but I was getting too much trash thru, requiring too many vourlaufs. I wrapped the false bottom in window screen, which effectively covers the holes somewhat. much clearer runoff.

Doesn't answer your question, exactly, but if you get one with holes, there are options...

My false bottom is stainless with medium small holes in it, but I was getting too much trash thru, requiring too many vourlaufs. I wrapped the false bottom in window screen, which effectively covers the holes somewhat. much clearer runoff.

Doesn't answer your question, exactly, but if you get one with holes, there are options...

Thanks Hang Glider, window screen is an interesting idea that never occurred to me. Do you remember where you got your FB from?

Back