Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 356421View attachment 356422View attachment 356423

My first attempt at home cured pastrami for a cookout today. Smoked it for 12 hours yesterday

I love me some well cured pastrami. I made this pastrami using the copa muscle from a full pork shoulder. I like a higher fat to my pastrami and this is far from kosher.

If you've never used pork for pastrami you should give it a try sometime. It's definitely a more flavorful type and cut than a brisket (imo). Try it out sometime.

I love me some well cured pastrami. I made this pastrami using the copa muscle from a full pork shoulder. I like a higher fat to my pastrami and this is far from kosher.

If you've never used pork for pastrami you should give it a try sometime. It's definitely a more flavorful type and cut than a brisket (imo). Try it out sometime.

Do you have any more info on this? Is it the same cure and process as with beef?

Brisket resting in Big Bad Beef Rub and yellow salad mustard. Breaking in a new smoker tomorrow.

Baby Back Ribs & a home brew:mug:

33140lj.jpg

St Louis cut spares, corn bread, Cole slaw, and doctored up baked beans. Chears!

Imagine that --I can't post a photo

Got a dozen country style bone-in ribs in the pit a lil bit ago with my own Memphis-style rub. Combo of seasonings with light brown sugar has a fruity/citrusy background flavor that's rather pleasant. I let'em soak the sugary seasonings in while we got the pit ready. Rub works better when it has time to soak in a might. With rice pilaf from yesterday in this mojito something-or-other sauce from crock pot thighs yesterday & roasted corn. Will need to get a pic about 5:45...

That is some beautiful looking meat there.

Best way to smoke chicken? I want (need) to use my smoker this weekend. Have a hankering for chicken.

Was thinking about brining it overnight or so before smoking.

I'm not a fan of brining chicken because it tends to soften the meat up too much for my taste. I usually spatchcock the chicken and then do a dry rub, letting it come to room temps while I get the smoker ready. At the end of the smoke I either remove the water tub (I use a Smokey Mountain) and crank up the heat substantially on the smoker, or finish it in the oven for 10-15 minutes at high heat to get the skin crispy.

Chickens don't take too long, especially when you flatten them out.

I'm not a fan of brining chicken because it tends to soften the meat up too much for my taste. I usually spatchcock the chicken and then do a dry rub, letting it come to room temps while I get the smoker ready. At the end of the smoke I either remove the water tub (I use a Smokey Mountain) and crank up the heat substantially on the smoker, or finish it in the oven for 10-15 minutes at high heat to get the skin crispy.

Chickens don't take too long, especially when you flatten them out.

This

Yep, spatchcock a whole bird, and roast at ~325-350 until done (~40 minutes at most?) with smoke wood of your choice.

In my opinion, "low and slow" doesn't apply to poultry...

I haven't run my smoker since New Year's Eve, and I'm so excited to do some baby backs today, along with some veggies that I'll grill on the kettle.

Got a pork butt on the big green egg- started it at 0600 and hoping to enjoy by 1800

That's crazy! What's the difference in the rub? I used coriander, pepper, mustard, garlic, paprika and onion.

Check this fail out. Got a quick fire going for dinner and shoved the coals under grate. Ok no problem. Well the little bit of wood left started smoldering. I thought great smoke the meat. Yeah no, thats not tbs, and pine doesnt quite taste like hickory.

View attachment 1465394761387.jpg

Tried a reverse-seared ribeye on the WSM for the first time. 200° for 45min brought it from room temp to 115° internal. Let it rest and took the middle section out of the WSM and seared it.

It was ok, not great. Too smokey and not as tender as I hoped. I'll try again with no wood and maybe lower temp for longer.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465602359.023501.jpg

Tried a reverse-seared ribeye on the WSM for the first time. 200° for 45min brought it from room temp to 115° internal. Let it rest and took the middle section out of the WSM and seared it.

It was ok, not great. Too smokey and not as tender as I hoped. I'll try again with no wood and maybe lower temp for longer.

View attachment 358136

Steak in the smoker is never as good. The smoke steals/overpowers the natural beef flavors

Wife on a whim picked up a 2.5 lb brisket... Not even sure what to do with it. Anyone ever smoked one so small? Would definitely add a couple racks of ribs along with it, but wondering if it would dry out too much. 250 smoker temp till 200-ish internal meat temp is what I'd normally do.

Back