Party Pig question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Wife gave me a party pig for birthday - seems you need less sugar for carbing.

Using Beersmith for 2.25 gallons I come up with 1.61oz corn sugar which is about 1/5 cup (not that I measure in cups).

The instructions say use 1/3 to 1/4 cup which is STILL more then my calc's

So for a American Brown how much corn sugar should I use in a PIG. I'm looking for volume of 2.2

I would just add the standard 3/4 cup corn sugar to the bottling bucket and then fill the pig and the bottles.

DEFINITELY DON'T DO THIS! - I did and I only drank a 1/4-1/8th of the pig. It shot out so farking hard that it was 100% foam. I had to dispense it into a pitcher and let it settle. Afterwards I was drinking flat beer.

If you are doing a 5 gal batch make two separate priming solutions.
2.13 gal will get pigged
2.87 bottled

Rate at 1 oz/gal botting = 2.87 oz

Rate at .5 oz/gal pigging = 1.07 oz
5.5 gallons
2.13 gal will get pigged
3.37 bottled

Rate at 1 oz/gal botting = 3.37 oz

Rate at .5 oz/gal pigging = 1.07 oz

I have a spreadsheet for this but it only lets you upload XML.

View attachment Pigcarbing-HBT.xml

I used a party pig for about 6 months before I went to kegging (wish I had skipped the pig) and I would make the normal bottling sugar mixture and put half in the pig and half in the bottling bucket. It worked fine for me. When you finally empty your pig and are ready to clean it, you will need to puncture the inner bladder to get it out. Make sure you do it outside and point it away from anything important. When I did it the first time, I did it in my garage and didn't point it away enough. When it popped, it covered me, the ceiling, the floor and my motorcyle with a gooey, white, creamy substance. Made a hell of a mess. The pig worked pretty well. I thought it would give me the "freshness" I thought came from kegging. It didn't, but it did beat bottling.

What was the deal with it?

I carbed like normal, about 3/4 of a cup. That was it!

When I opened the pig or tapped it the pressure was so high that it had to be tapped in my sink. It shot out beer like a beer cannon.

I would not doubt that the stream could have gone 20'

You gotta remember that there is a pressure pouch maintaining 14psi. That's without the priming sugar.

FYI

5 oz of sugar will give 2.75 volumes.

2.5 will give 1.8 volumes

When pigging 1/2 a batch of beer I usually use 3/4 the normal amount of priming sugar. Then i put 1/3 of the priming solution in the pig and 2/3 in the bottling bucket. This gives me pretty consistent results.

Craig

Back