Step Mashing Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is an article of mine that appeared on HBT 11-25-2015. I thought I would post it in this, the all-grain forum also, in the hope it be more easily accessible for future reference. Comments, thoughts are welcome.

Step Mashing Concoctions, Infusions, Decoctions

I’ve long been a fan of European lagers and some years back had the pleasure of spending a wonderful summer in Munich with friends. We lived up the road from the famous Löwenbräu Keller and when opportunity presented itself, frequently enjoyed sampling the culinary and beer related offerings to be found there.

1 Lowenbrau Keller.jpg
Memories of Munich​

In recent months I have been attempting to replicate those delectable flavors from that memorable Bavarian summer by brewing some lagers and hybrid ales. These include a Munich Helles, a Munich Dunkel, two Vienna lagers, a German pilsner, a Kölsch and an Altbier.

In researching these styles of European beers I noted a trend. Traditional methods including step mashes are commonplace, being used by many breweries. These breweries often have rich histories with adherence to centuries-old arcane purity laws. They are not typically associated with experimental techniques. Perusing the database of award winning recipes from the "American Homebrewers Association" revealed a similar trend in mash profiles. It would appear that both traditional brewing methods and competition success on the national level support the use of a step mash for certain styles of beer.

2 Beer Montage.jpg
Step Mashed Beers. Brewed for Science!

The counterpoint to this anecdotal support for step mashing is the large number of well-versed and respected brewers who will quite reasonably argue, given the nature of fully modified modern malts, that there is little if any benefit to their use.

I would ask the reader to shelve their thoughts relating to this debate for the time being. The purpose of this article is primarily to illustrate the processes involved in carrying out a step mash, whilst largely ignoring the meaty topic that is the scientific basis for their usefulness or for that matter, their redundancy.

3 Decoction Setup.jpg
My Stove-top setup for step mashing

Having a metal mash-tun makes incorporating a step mash into your process a lot easier. As a happy proponent of single vessel brewing I view this as an all-too-often overlooked advantage of this brewing method, one that I feel is largely under-utilized by the majority of single vessel brewers. Step mashing is of course possible regardless of one’s all-grain setup. Options and corrective measure are however more limited if using a plastic mash-tun.

Excluding heat exchange recirculating mash systems (HERMS) and recirculating infusion mash systems (RIMS) of which I have no experience and only a rudimentary understanding, there are four ways to carry out a step mash. An accurate, calibrated thermometer and correctly dialed-in brewing software are indispensable in my opinion, if a step mash is to be undertaken.

Methods for carrying out a step mash
  • Directly heating the mash-tun
  • Infusion step mashing
  • Decoction mashing
  • A hybrid approach incorporating some or all of the above

Step mash via direct heating

One big advantage of step mashing via direct heating is that it requires no additional pot. Disadvantages to this approach are that it is only possible if using a metal mash-tun, and that constant stirring of the mash is required during the application of heat.

A mash is a poor thermal conductor and constant stirring is needed if scorching the mash or denaturing critical enzymes via non-uniform heating is to be avoided. The measured mash temperature must be representative of the mash as a whole to prevent overshooting the desired rest temperatures. Constant stirring maintains this required thermal homogeneity.

When step mashing this way I find it best to kill the heat 1°F shy of your planned rest temperature. The residual heat in the pot will continue to warm the mash the last little bit of the way. It's analogous to driving up to a red light: you take your foot off the gas and allow the residual kinetic energy to coast you the rest of the way there.

With the insulated lid removed and constantly stirring a full-volume mash, ramping the temperature to each rest takes quite some time. Owing to its low melting point, placing insulation around the mash-tun is not safe on my setup when applying direct heat. My heat source is a natural gas stove. Reflectix insulation exposed to naked flame is an obvious fire hazard worth avoiding.

Infusion Step Mashing

Step mashing via infusions of near-boiling water requires much less work and attention from the brewer. Stirring is only needed when adding the pre-planned volumes of water to reach the desired temperatures. The mash-tun can remain insulated throughout and a metal mash-tun is not required.

4 Direct Heating and Insulation.jpg
Heat source. Insulation. Infusions at the ready. False bottom for use with my BIAB setup​

The Process.

• The full water volume is collected in the boil-kettle.
  • Minerals are added to target the desired water profile.
  • Sodium metabisulfite/ Potassium metabisulfite is added to eliminate chloramines and chlorine.
  • A measured volume of water is drawn off to a second pot: the HLT.
  • The volume in the HLT is calculated to provide all the water needed for infusions and any planned sparge. (I typically do not incorporate a sparge step into my brewing.)
  • The water in the HLT is brought to a boil and a simmer maintained with the lid on.
  • Strike water is heated to target and dough-in completed as normal hitting the first rest temperature.
  • Pre-calculated volumes of the collected boiling water are added to the main mash, heating it to the next planned rest temperature.
  • The mash is stirred thoroughly while adding the hot water to ensure homogeneity and representative temperature readings.

5 Confirming Rest Temperature.jpg
Confirming correct rest temperature

If you carry out infusion mashes this way it is impossible to overshoot your final mash volumes, an oft touted disadvantage of infusion mashing which can be particularly problematic if a sparge is planned. If you come up a bit cool on the last infusion step you can take corrective measures. The insulation is simply removed and direct heat is applied to the mash.

Decoction Step Mashing

The third way to carry out a step mash is via decoctions. This is a little more complex and time consuming but follows a similar principle: the addition of near-boiling material to the mash to raise its temperature. No direct heating of the mash is involved.

• A thick portion of the mash is removed to a second pot. This is the decoction.
  • The decoction is heated.
  • An optional step is to carry out a conversion rest on the decoction itself before heating it further.
  • The decoction is brought to a boil and subsequently boiled for a period of time. Once again, constant stirring of the decocted portion of the mash is needed when heat is applied.
  • The decoction is then returned to the main mash raising its temperature to the next planned rest temperature.
  • This process can be repeated as needed depending on the number of steps.

6 Pulling a decoction.jpg
Pulling the Decoction

7 Boiling Decoction.jpg
Boiling the Decoction. Smells great!

Additional issues related to decoction mashing
  • My brewing software typically under estimates the required decoction volume.
  • Mash pH appears to be slightly lower, (~0.1) than planned when a decoction is used.
  • I have noted heat loss from the primary mash while pulling the decoction.

The first two issues can be addressed during the planning stages of a brew. The heat loss can be remedied with a corrective application of direct heat to the mash. One more benefit to having a metal mash-tun.

8 pH Montage.jpg
Mash pH is measured when the mash is at its maximal volume

Hybrid Approach to Step Mashing

I typically incorporate a combined approach when carrying out a step-mash. There are of course pros and cons to each method that should be considered.
  • Infusions are easy to calculate, prepare and carry out.
  • Directly heating the mash-tun is very accurate but more work is involved. Ramping duration, (the time spent going from one rest to the next) is also significantly longer than with infusion step mashes.
  • Decoction mashing takes a bit more trial and error to work out the details.

9 Pilsner Mash.jpg
Recently used example of a hybrid mash profile incorporating infusions and direct heating

• Dough-in at beta amylase rest*
  • Infusion of near boiling water to reach a combined rest
  • Infusion near boiling water to reach alpha amylase rest*
  • Direct heating to reach mash-out rest

10 Vienna Mash.jpg
Recently used example of a hybrid mash profile incorporating an infusion, decoction and direct heating

• Dough-in to hit a short, high temperature protein rest.
  • Infusion of near boiling water to reach beta amylase rest*
  • Single decoction to reach alpha amylase rest*
  • Direct heating to reach mash-out rest.

I’ll be honest here, my perspective on step mashing is that it's fun to do. I enjoy the added planning and measurement that are involved. It presses many of my inner-geek-buttons. More importantly, I am enjoying the resulting beers where a step mash was used. If adding a little complexity and additional time to your brew-day is something that doesn't phase you, I would encourage experimenting with step mashes to see for yourself what they can do for your beer.

Prost!

*Note: The names of the rests are chosen to indicate the dominant enzyme at work.

Awesome article, Gavin! Personally, I feel the same way about step mashes -- they are an interesting and under-utilized way to develop different character in beer, especially lagers. From what I've seen, most homebrewers neglect step mashes in favor of something like dextrine malt to help them achieve the body and head retention they're looking for.

I am accustomed to using a 3-vessel system, but I am amenable to any process improvement which simplifies my brew day. It looks like we have identical BK / MLT, so I've got a few questions for you...
Is there any issue with using a ceramic-electric stovetop heating element to direct heat the mash? I know I can't turn off the heat as quickly as a natural gas burner can.
How many layers of reflectix do you secure to your MLT?
How well does your MLT retain heat? How many degrees does your MLT lose over an hour of mashing?
Would this work without using BIAB? I've got VERY limited clearance between my stovetop and the range hood/microwave.
Doesn't your temperature probe poke your brew bag?

Awesome article, Gavin!

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope it's of some use.

Is there any issue with using a ceramic-electric stovetop heating element to direct heat the mash?

I have no experience there so I would be guessing. With cooking, there is nothing that gives the same control as a gas flame so perhaps it's not a leap to think there will be less control in brewing too.

How many layers of reflectix do you secure to your MLT?
4. See more detail on that here if you're interested.

How well does your MLT retain heat?
How many degrees does your MLT lose over an hour of mashing?
The insulation works very well. I loose about 2°F over the course of a 1 hour single infusion mash. I mill fine, so with single infusions most of the important chemistry governing wort profile is over in the first 30 mins or so. It is very reproducible. I am also using full-volume mashes. The reduced headspace in the kettle and increased mass of water really benefits temperatures stablity.

Would this work without using BIAB?
Doesn't your temperature probe poke your brew bag?

Yes step mashing will work regardless of how many vessels you are using and is not linked to using a bag as a manifold.

The probe pokes the bag but is not a problem whatsoever. Still using the first grain bags I bought at the outset of my all-grain brewing hobby. When I remove the bag with grains within it is a simple task to prevent a snag. I know it's there so it's never posed even the tiniest of problems.

Hey Gavin, you were wondering about information regarding increased efficiency from decoction mashing. I was able to find a few.

http://byo.com/hops/item/537-decoction-mashing-techniques - This one seems to indicate it has more to do with the mixing than the boiling

http://hbd.org/brewery/library/DecoctFAQ.html - This is more in line with what I remember reading; that the boil helps efficiency by breaking down cell walls.

If you Google "Decoction Mash Efficiency", it seems to be one of the more common advantages stated for a decoction mash.

http://myadventuresinbrewing.blogspot.com/2009/06/decoction-mashing.html - The picture on this website is closer in color and thickness to the decoctions I pull. Normally I will give them a thorough boil for 10-20 minutes. The color change is noticeable vs. the unboiled portion as well.

Now it could be that since it looks like your grain is nearly powdered that you won't see the efficiency increase as much. Going just off of personal experience, I can get almost 85% efficiency for a 1.051 Helles using about 9 lb of grain, vs 75-80% using a regular infusion (using the same bill and same grain source/mill). It could be that I am getting a better mash out as well when I decoct.

Thanks for all those links @Gometz . I'll give them a read soon.

I think it's not entirely correct of me to state ( as I did in the comments section) that efficiency is not increased by using a decoction. If we think about the historical rationale for the method it is of course demonstrably false. I was speaking mainly WRT my own rudimentary setup.

The mashing of undermodified or poorly modified malts will of course benefit from a step mash and incorporating decoctions will be one way to really beat the crap out of the grains so to speak.

I tend to write mainly from personal experience and augment it with what theory I believe to be based in sound brewing science.

I use fully modified modern malts and I mill fine (narrower than a credit card at ~0.02 indicated on my cheap mill). This is the narrowest setting.

I don't see any difference in efficiencies between using a single infusion or step mash with or without decoctions.

One could argue the merits of milling coarser to better benefit from a step mash. I go the other route and shorten my rests allowing for the finer grist I employ.

Thanks again for the feedback, the links and taking the time to read my post.

Very much appreciated.

Hey Gavin, had one more question about the decoction:

I think you said that I should boil it for about 20 minutes, so I guess the rest of the mash just continues to rest during that time? Or should the boil only be something around 5 minutes, since this is already a dark beer?

Hey Gavin, had one more question about the decoction:

I think you said that I should boil it for about 20 minutes, so I guess the rest of the mash just continues to rest during that time? Or should the boil only be something around 5 minutes, since this is already a dark beer?

I'd have to back and check but I don't believe the length of time the decoction is boiled time to be specified in the OP.

The boil time is really at the discretion of the brewer. Some advocate bringing to a boil and adding back to the main mash right away or boiling for a period of time.

Really depends on when in the profile the decoction takes place, (intermediate step or mash-out), the grain-bill and the brewer's objectives and time constraints.

It is an area where I have a lot to learn. I am not able to share a link to any good source WRT boil-times. My view is that historically with under modified malts and multiple decoctions, the pulling, boiling and returning of the decoctions was in constant flux, trial and error dependent on the malt being used being the forces governing the evolution of the various profiles used.

Far beyond my knowhow I'm afraid.

Sorry I can't be of more use.

FWIW, I never boil the decoction for more than 10 minutes. For mash-out decoctions I bring to a boil and add it back in.

While planning to brew me some German lager (festbier), I found this thread, which is an interesting read. I had a look at the step mash schedule you show here, and it left me wondering why you basically have three steps (140->155->155) for two enzymes; beta-amylase and alpha-amylase. Is there any reason you use three steps rather than just two rests, one for each enzyme? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Also, for German lagers in general, is a protein rest (around 131–137 °F (55–58 °C)) advisable?

While planning to brew me some German lager (festbier), I found this thread, which is an interesting read. I had a look at the step mash schedule you show here, and it left me wondering why you basically have three.....

Thanks for reading. I hope it was of some use.

Many argue a protein rest is not needed

Many argue it is ill-advised and detrimental.

The post is more aimed at demonstrating the practicalities of performing a step mash rather than getting lost in the weeds as to the scientific merit or lack thereof to employing one.

Once you get the how, figuring out for oneself the why and the why not is the logical next step. A protein rest is an obvious example of such a topic.

I give an example of some profiles I've used. It's for others to decide if there is any sense to them. More profiles can be found in some of my recipes if you're interested. If you're on desktop they are in the drop down tab in my profile.

I've had some reasonably enjoyable results with these profiles (perhaps in spite of them, who can say). YMMV.

Thanks for expanding on your methods and reasoning. I actually have a very similar brew setup and have different done step mashes before, so I got the practicalities of it figured out.

It seems I can best leave a protein rest out. I thought it might help break down some of the larger proteins and beta-glucans, but with current malts its not needed anyhow I guess. I'll have a look at some more step mash schedules, interesting stuff! I might even try a decoction and see how that goes!

Thanks for expanding on your methods and reasoning. I actually have a very similar brew setup and have different done step mashes before, so I got the practicalities of it figured out.

It seems I can best leave a protein rest out. I thought it might help break down some of the larger proteins and beta-glucans, but with current malts its not needed anyhow I guess. I'll have a look at some more step mash schedules, interesting stuff! I might even try a decoction and see how that goes!

No worries. It's fun to try these things out I reckon.

Latest posts

Back