Lager fermentation and diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHadack

Crafty
Reaction score
I have been fermenting a lager for a couple weeks at 50F. The OG was 1.051 when I measured it just before pitching and a week later it was at 1.025. A couple days ago I tested and it was 1.012 and the aitr lock was only bubbling every every 40 seconds or so. I figured it was just about done.

I've read that you should move it to ~60F for 48 hours at the end for a diacetyl rest. I did that, and for the past 36 hours the air lock has been bubbling every 25 seconds or so, definitely an increase in activity.

Is this normal or did I move it too early? Even if I did, I can't imagine it would hurt the flavor too much since it was such a low gravity when I raised the temp. Am I okay just RAHAHB, or should I move this thing back to lower temps and be more patient?

Sounds like you moved it just in time, wait a couple more days and check gravity again, if it doesn't move then you're ready to lager. Then RDWHAHB.

Back