Nutrient/Energizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a pretty big variation in the products out there so there is no 'correct' answer, but I like to add nutrient twice, once at the onset of serious fermentation and once about half way through. Each time adding half the amount recommended by the manufacturer. If no directions are included and google comes up empty then I aim low with a total of 5g per 5 gallon carboy.

my latest for all my wine except lemon is 1,1,5... 1tsp tannin, 1tsp energizer and 5tsp nutrient.. lemon wine (skeeter pee) is the only one I do a second addition.. sofar they have all come out awesome!! :mug:

I'm working with juice that has sorbate in it, is there any risk of off flavours I add a little more.

Anyone know how much yeast nutrient and energizer are needed for five gal.

My bottle of Yeast Energizer says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

My bottle of Yeast Nutrient says 1 teaspoon per gallon.

I'm working with juice that has sorbate in it, is there any risk of off flavours I add a little more.

I don't think so, but you could also try this. let your must sit at room temperature for 48 hours before you add your yeast, open (no airlock), covered with a dish towel and secured with a rubber band. That's what I do when making Skeeter Pee, it helps combat the preservatives in the lemon juice and gets rid of the chlorine in the water.

Back