Pleas Help, Brewing this Morning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing the Pastor's 777 on this fine sunday morning, but have one question:

The LHBS didn't cary flaked rye (suprise, suprise), so I got some Rye malt instead. What will be the cheif difference in an IPA with a grain bill containing 10-15% Rye Malt vs. Flaked Rye?

From what I've read, they both impart a crisp, dry flavor, and the potential of the malt is actually lower than the flaked. Should I use the full 2 lbs called for of malt in place of the flaked rye, or ratchet it back a little?

Thanks.

I have only used the two together in the same recipe, so I can't comment from experience on how different they are in taste. Some swear they are different, hence my use of both at once.

I did check Beersmith and Promash, and flaked rye is listed as having slightly higher extract potential than malted rye. So you should probably use the full 2 lbs of rye malt (or even a pinch more), I would think.

Best of luck on the brew! I have 15 lbs of flaked rye and rye malt I am just DYING to brew up (gotta stop travelling with work....). :)

Latest posts

Back