Boiler Maker valve assembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
The manual suggests to disassemble and clean, in order to remove all machining oils.

Has anyone tried to take these apart? They are insanely tight fitted. Even with the right gear and a steady hand it feels as if you could buckle the pot at any moment.

I think I'm just going to use soap and water and a brush, and perhaps boil.

What a buzz kill this is becoming

Since it's a three piece ball valve, just undo the four bolts holding the parts together and give them a PBW soak. Then use some of the solution, and a brush, to clean the part that remains in the kettle. Drop the dip tube into the PBW solution too.

I've got sunlight, and starsan.

I'll take the extra step to disassemble the four bolts. Thanks. That main piece is brutal

I've got sunlight, and starsan.

I'll take the extra step to disassemble the four bolts. Thanks. That main piece is brutal

What does sunlight have to do with it?? You cleaning with photons?? :D

I didn't remove the valve from my BoilerMaker kettle when I first cleaned it, or even since then. If you have a couple of wrenches, you're all set for taking it apart.

lol sunlight dish soap

I have to make sure the brewometer is calibrated as well, so I'll do a boil and run the water through also.

All should be good, but I was just trying to do what the manual suggested. It does suggest to take apart the valve and reassemble using a torque wrench LOL good god

Yeah, no torque wrench needed. Go tight as you can without damaging the assembly or hurting yourself. I didn't see any torque settings in the manual for mine, so I wouldn't want to go that route (foot pounds? inch pounds?)...

40 ft-lb page 6 at the bottom

While is does say to disassemble the valve, it was hard for me to tell what's considered the valve and what's the entire fitting called. The manual does explain how to reassemble the entire piece.

Well, since I don't own a torque wrench, and the one my father had is about 45-60 minutes away, it's not really viable for me to use that. I might try to take the kettle apart before I use it next. It's probably going to be my HLT post move. Especially if I get the place I want, and a brew stand. :rockin:

Back