First Look: SS BrewTech Brewmaster Edition 7 Gallon Chronical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfabe

Reaction score
Since I’ve become a frequent flyer with new equipment purchases over at SS Brewtech, those guys were nice enough to get me my Brewmaster Edition pre-order a little on the early side this year. Especially since I live just a stone’s throw from their location in SoCal, shipping was super-fast.

IMG_1691_zpsvqfdw5nt.jpg

Since I know many of you are familiar with the standard line of Chronicals seeing as it’s blossomed into one of more popular conical fermenter options lately, I’ll focus in detail on the features that make it unique from my standard edition 14 gallon Chronical.

IMG_1687_zpslr2plca7.jpg

For guys that are serious about brewing, myself included, the ball valves on my standard 14 gal were one of those things I always completely disassembled to clean post fermentation, just to make sure there wasn’t any remnant hiding in there. This was one of the huge motivators to get my hands on a Brewmaster line…

IMG_1684_zpsk9etqmlj.jpg

The new butterfly valves that come with the Brewmaster edition are unbelievable. They weigh roughly 5 pounds each, and are beautifully machined and finished. The squeeze trigger is easy to pull and operate, and both valves worked flawlessly out of the box. Upon further examination, the gasket material inside appears to have the same burnt orange color and feel as high temp silicone. The actual butterfly portion inside the valve is extremely thick and molded perfectly with no rough edges, so as it should be there is nowhere for bacteria or yeast to hide. Furthermore, the racking valve has been custom machined to fit their dip tube, similar to their TC ball valve, just as easy to rotate on the Brewmaster Chronical. The dump valve was designed with the larger 1.5” TC fitting, so opening the valve all the way up easily flushes trub/yeast etc.

IMG_1685_zpsnwcwnchz.jpg

The interior mounted coil is also something that is pretty slick since it puts the surface area contact of the coil into the center of the liquid volume, which after using it on its inaugural batch has been working great to hold temps. It’s also extremely easy to remove to clean, just two lock nuts. However, I found that I really didn’t need to; I used a bottling brush to get in between the coils with hot PBW, and everything cleaned up great. Same with the sampling valve, it’s the same valve used on their Brew Bucket line, so it’s easy to remove, and then it’s just one nut to loosen to access and clean the interior of the valve. The jacket that comes with the Brewmaster has all the cutouts for the new accessories including the chill coil and sampling valve.

IMG_1689_zpsrk9struh.jpg

Lastly, the large 3” ferule on the lid gives you plenty of room to add hops, or pour in Belgian Candi syrup etc. I’m looking forward to the ability to add the CIP ball when it’s released, since I think that could further reduce cleaning times. But with a standard PBW/Starsan rinse on the butterfly valves, it already cut a lot of disassembly time from my normal cleaning routine for my 14 gal.

IMG_1690_zpsjzo5a2z9.jpg

As far as the rest of the vessel, it’s nearly identical to the standard series, so everything else was super high quality and what I expected after having my 14 gal the last few years.

When I got the Brewmaster in the mail, I didn’t have much grain on hand but I managed to throw together a quick cream ale just to get something in there ASAP. Everything worked great out of the box, I really like the sampling valve because it allows for much clearer hydrometer readings than the racking valve ever did on my 14 gal. I always used to get some yeast through the racking valve when I was trying to take samples.

After a few days, when it was time to dump the Trub, I put a bowl underneath the dump valve and let er’ rip. It opens much faster than the standard ball valves, and everything comes rushing out at once, which is really a good thing. Just be sure not to leave it open too long, maybe a second or two is all you need. The nice part is that the handles are large and easy to manipulate, so closing it in a hurry isn’t a problem. Finally, once my fermentation was complete, I hooked on a ½” barb TC fitting onto the racking port and transferred to my keg, again really easy to sanitize and rig up quickly.

All-in-all it was everything I expected for the price, the valves are a huge upgrade alone, and although I didn’t get to utilize the larger lid on the first go around, I look forward to the next IPA batch I throw in there. On top of that the accessories their going to be releasing should really add some nice features to the unit.

IMG_1692_zpsif82qjch.jpg

Another thing I have my eye out on is some of the upgrade parts for my 14 gallon. They told me they don’t have the valves in stock yet, but I will definitely be upgrading my 14’s ball valves and lid to start, then moving to a side mount coil after I get the new lid. I’m stoked they will be offering the Brewmaster stuff for guys like me that invested in their equipment early on; good support, amazing quality, and new products is why they’ll continue to get my business…

Weldless means the fitting is passed through a hole on the fermenter and secured with a nut inside.

Is your fermenter a special order? I was just on the sight and see no butterfly valves or side coils on the 7 gal. conical. So this must be a Brewmaster conical with a SS brewtech wrap.

So if it is not weld less, it means it is the ball valve is welded to the kettle? Sounds logic. Thanks, sorry my English

If the kettle or conical in this case is not weldless it has welded fittings. The welded fittings allow for a variety of connections, like a ball valve, to be connected. The most common welded fittings are FPT which is a threaded metal fitting that screws in with teflon tape or tri-clamp which is a sanitary clamping system.

Is your fermenter a special order? I was just on the sight and see no butterfly valves or side coils on the 7 gal. conical. So this must be a Brewmaster conical with a SS brewtech wrap.

In the first sentence he mentions it is a Brewmaster.

Yeah I know. just making talk what with the Ss Brewtech jacket and if you notice the handle on the valves have Ss engraved on them.

man this is what happens when a person that thinks he knows what hes talking about and is clueless to all aspects of conversation. I'm planning on getting 7 gal. FTSS temp control and totally missed the Butterfly valves in other stuff. So put this down as OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT. :confused:

Mfabe,

I really appreciate you doing this. Your original post was / is the reason I am (still) considering a conical.

I went with brewmaster buckets instead and a cheap freezer, but will be upgrading to a 14 gallon conical.

I had talked myself out of the ss brewtech as when I added all the valves and such it was almost as much as just going ahead with a nice one from brewershardware.

I just upgraded all my kettles so I am still going to wait a few months and let the pennies cover the bottom of my jar again, but with this conical and your glycol solution, i am sure I will be hooked up with a similar system by march

I would really like to see them put welded fittings on their conicals, that is what's stopping me from buying one at this point.

Yeah that was my big hang-up as well. Bru-Gear has all welded fittings and use Butterfly valves for theirs.

Three other groups you can look at that have all welded is Morebeer, Stout Tanks, and Spike Brewing

I would also suggest Brewers Hardware and Glacier, but BH is around $1k before shipping (But man what a nice conical!) and Glacier... you don't even want to know the price of their conical...

I personally don't see the huge benefit to welded fittings since both have proven not to cause infection.

In fact, the Brewers Hardware conical has the large top ferule similar to the brewhemoth, which is cleaning prohibitive unless you go CIP. IMHO, I think the SS Brewtech version brings together just the right balance of features for the price. The shipping expense puts a lot of the other competitors out of the ball park in price comparison...

I personally don't see the huge benefit to welded fittings since both have proven not to cause infection.

What??? No... For example: Bru-Gear uses TriClover fittings and clamps... There are no threads for any bugs to get into at all. So does More Beer, Stout, Spike, Brewers hardware, and Glacier.

As far as the Brewers Hardware having the same issue as the brewhemoth, I can see how that would be challenging, however that is an 8" opening, thats pretty big. CIP would be fine for it, but reaching a hose and arm in there wouldn't be that challenging.

I'm just saying that if i had about a grand and no strings attached for brewing equipment... Yeah I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

What??? No... For example: Bru-Gear uses TriClover fittings and clamps... There are no threads for any bugs to get into at all. So does More Beer, Stout, Spike, Brewers hardware, and Glacier.

As far as the Brewers Hardware having the same issue as the brewhemoth, I can see how that would be challenging, however that is an 8" opening, thats pretty big. CIP would be fine for it, but reaching a hose and arm in there wouldn't be that challenging.

I'm just saying that if i had about a grand and no strings attached for brewing equipment... Yeah I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Yahhhh... See I have to respectfully disagree with that line of thinking, if weld-less fittings were a problem wouldn't we be hearing and reading about it nearly everyday on this very forum? Especially since there are more conicals with weld-less than welded fittings.

I've been brewing with a 14 gallon Chronical with weld-less fittings and ball valves for years and never had an infection, and I don't treat the fittings with extra special care. In fact, I almost never even remove the thermowell, just good all around cleaning and sanitation practices. So I guess I don't have a problem with bugs getting into my threads...

Those other conicals cost an additional $200-$300, and don't even include any sort of insulation jacket or chill/warming coils/support. Other than that I'm sure they are great products, but for my money, I'll stick with the SS BrewTech products...:mug:

I'm not trying to start a pissing match here, but you don't have any proof of this. I would counter this with a few pretty apparent facts. What breweries use weldless fittings? My guess is probably none. 304 SS whether American, Chinese, or Scandinavian sourced, is almost completely the same. Anyone can buy a bulk pallet of chines conicals now and sell them here in the States with there own brand on them. For example look at the difference between BruGear and SS Brewtech... They are the same conical probably from the same Chinese factory. Legs are different and they have different lid options. Only difference is the ports that are welded on. BruGear decided to add some cost to the product by providing butterfly valves and only TC Fittings. Not weldless.

Will I concede that you didnt have any issues with contamination? Sure. Will I also concede that many users have conicals that have weldless features? Yes. Blichman and SS Brewtech are notably the more popular ones out there.

I will however point out that SS Brewtech, before they release the versions that you have, originally had welded in thermowells and no weldless fittings. The reason why they stopped doing this is because of the cost associations per unit. Not because weldless is that much better.
Blichman additionally has been using weldless thermowells forever, however do a quick search of "Blichman + Leak" and you will find several people frustrated that they shelled out top dollar for a piece of equipment that has weaknesses only at the weldless areas.

Ask any biochemist or anyone who works in a lab. They don't use weldless fittings on anything where something has to culture and be in a sterile environment. Welded fittings that are clean pass throughs without threads that utilize triclover fittings, clamps, and butterfly valves are infact completely sanitary, easy to clean, and require no disassembly.

As soon as you put threads on something and o-rings, you are opening up areas to potential contamination as you risk not cleaning that area.

I don't have an axe to grind against SS brewtech at all. In fact they have some of the most responsive and friendly people that I have ever contacted. They make a great product for an amazing price. I have a crappy Chinese conical that I bought when I first started out about 8 years ago. It worked great for a couple batches, but then I ended up with infections. I always had leaks at the weldless fitting for where the thermometer was. and my dump valves were threaded ports. I couldnt see having to disassemble the threaded ports every time to clean them out to ensure that my beer would be guaranteed clean. Thats more work than I put into cleaning my glass carboys or plastic buckets.

If you put it to me to where I would spend my money. I would rather have a product that is a fully welded SS conical with butterfly valves. I almost pulled the trigger on the SS Brewtech believe it or not. But I'm at a point now where I don't have time or energy to deal with weldless fittings to frustrate me. Again, I'm not trying to say that its a bad product. But its not just generally accepted, but widely accepted that welded SS conicals with TC fittings and no threads is the most sanitary you can have. Everything else comes in second

I'm planning on going with the Grainfather for doing indoor electric brews. I have no intentions of shelling out thousands on electric all grain equipment to do 10 gallon batches. I was planning on going with a 7 gallon conical fermenter. Could I brew 2 - 5 gallon batches back to back on the grainfather and combine them in the same 14 gallon fermenter? The 14 gallon Bru Gear seems to be a great value but only comes in 14 gallon or bigger.

You would be totally fine even if you only did a 5 gal batch in the 14g conical. However if you are only interested in brewing 5G batches you could always look at STOUT Fermenters as they have smaller fermenters, and same with MoreBeer. Also, take a look at the speidel 30L fermenter. I like mine, and honestly if I didnt I was going to buy the conical fermenter I wanted. I like it enought that I just saved the $500-$600 I was going to spend on my conical and am now going to invest that into a new Mash Tun at some point.

Brewers hardware for 1000 has no temp control, their jacketed version is closer to 1500.

Not really an apples to apples comparison.

I'll throw my two cents in since I have a friend with the 14 and 17 gallon ss brew chronicals and I have 3 different stainless Conicals myself... A cheap stout knockoff with poor welds and an infection on the last batch (bought used and its very old) a 12.5 gallon stout I bought from their eBay store which has worked flawless ly and has very clean polished welds. The last conical I have is a American home Brewer Chinese 12.5 gallon model which has also worked well although the butterfly valve is NOT as ideal to control for dumping trub compared to my tc ball valves...

Expensive jackets and cooling coils systems are totally not needed unless you need the cosmetics for some reason. A cheap blue discharge hose wrapped around the outside works great when flow is controlled with something like an stc 1000 and a pump. The hose is also more sanitary then coils and related fittings in the beer.

The ssbrew Conicals are very nice but my friend is less than thrilled with the gaskets.

I bought my 14 gallon yesterday as I saw they were in stock. I debated the brewershardware one, but in the end I wanted to try the brewmaster and thought of all I had seen it was the best deal. The customer service aspect sealed it for me, as in my opinion I have had less than satisfactory servicer from several vendors I have tried here.

I have two brew buckets, I purchased through morebeer. I lost one of my stoppers for my airlock. I went to ssbrewtech website, and ordered two new stoppers, and paid. Several days later they refunded my money and sent me the stoppers.....Had to argue with that. That 7 bucks just caused me to spend 1000 with them.

I think I am going to try taking heat strips (like for outside faucets) and using the silver foil tape to tape them to the outside of the fermenter under the neoprene to control heating, vs trying to use the ftss.

Anyone tried this?

I bought my 14 gallon yesterday as I saw they were in stock. I debated the brewershardware one, but in the end I wanted to try the brewmaster and thought of all I had seen it was the best deal. The customer service aspect sealed it for me, as in my opinion I have had less than satisfactory servicer from several vendors I have tried here.

I have two brew buckets, I purchased through morebeer. I lost one of my stoppers for my airlock. I went to ssbrewtech website, and ordered two new stoppers, and paid. Several days later they refunded my money and sent me the stoppers.....Had to argue with that. That 7 bucks just caused me to spend 1000 with them.

I have to add that they were very quick to respond to my emails about the gasket issue my friend had with his. I had to order the conicals for him and still have to handle any support questions since SSbrew has no phone number and no way for non computer savvy people to deal with them. they sent replacement gaskets very quickly along with advice to avoid future issues.

I think I am going to try taking heat strips (like for outside faucets) and using the silver foil tape to tape them to the outside of the fermenter under the neoprene to control heating, vs trying to use the ftss.

Anyone tried this?

I use heat strips like this and control the temps with an stc1000 which is used to turn on both the heating element or the cooling pump/ valve since I use the same coolant manifold for all 4 of my conicals. It does work well and small element is all thats needed to heat the wort effectively.

Mine arrived in two days from order. I have it all together but still need to do the cleaning.

I will know for sure tomorrow when I pasivate it, but I question if the coils would keep a 5 gallon batch cool.

I purchased a 6" flex heat tape by 4' to use for heating as that fits perfect between the legs and handles.

Will post more when I have it running.

I love that they incorporated the racking arm into the butterfly valve assembly. It's unfortunate that I already have two of the Chronicals and, after a quick email to SS Brewtech, they have no plans to make that available standalone.

Guess I'll have to buy the TC racking arm and butterfly separately. Just a pain since it'll stick out so far.

Just thought I would update something on my purchase. I ordered a 6" wide by 4' long fermwrap type product from a reptile website. It will not keep temps in my garage. My garage is about 50 currently and the best I will hold is about 63. Of course if the temp drops more it will drop with it.

I need to find something with more watts. I am back to looking at the pipe heaters at Home Depot....I wonder if I just cut out the thermostat and wired it back together would it work on my external temp controller....just don't know if that thermostat has something else in it that makes the cable heat or it's simply a pass through switch so to speak. I suppose worst thing that can happen is I plug it in and it blows a breaker or overheats. I have a latter thermometer so I can see how hot the cable gets assuming it doesn't blow the breaker.....it's a 24.00 experiment...

For some reason I am convinced I need both heat and cool, but maybe I am overthinking it and just need to get the glycol cooler and throw a fish tank heater in the sump for the colder months.

If anyone wants to do this, you can indeed cut out the thermostat, and use 16-22 butt splice crimp connectors to put the wires back together. Those heating wires are very fragile but once I got th3 hang of it, they were not bad. I used heat shrink around the butt splices and it holds the cords together fine. I bought a 12 foot one from Home Depot and secured it with foil tape. Will see tonight if it will hold temps. Package said 72 watts compared to,the 48 I had before.

sad to say this wont hold the temp either. IT got down to 6 outside last night and the temp in the fermenter droped from 68 to 64 and ran all night.

I suppose I am going to give up and buy the glycol chiller and put a 200 watt aquarium heater in there and call it a day.

I havent gotten my ftss from them yet but its supposed to ship end of year, so I guess I will have to wait to try a brew in the conical.

I have been doing some reading on this and could not figure out why I didn't have enough watts to keep temps. I just decided to go grab my fermstat temp probe and measure temps at th3 dump valve and at the top. Wow, was I surprised. Temp all the way down in the dump valve 49. Temp all the way at the top 88. The heating strip is. Limited to the conical between the tops of the legs and the bottoms of the handles so on about a 6" vertical space....but it's above the thermowell so that's why I never saw the temp I needed.

How would you ever keep the entire volume realtime;y constant with this fermentor? Even if I use the coils it only goes from about the 5 gallon mark to the 11 gallon mark, so would the bottom 5 gallons always be 20-30 degrees colder than the top 5?

I can't be the only one who has seen this, what are others doing?

Of course, after all my experiments, they email me tonight and say they have an updated temp control syste, that includes a heat pad for,th3 brewmaster conical and a hot/cold controller....

Ok, final conclusion, I took the heat wire and wrapped it around the bottom 5 inches of the cone and used foil tape to hold it against the cone. I replaced the neoprene and it works fine holding temps, and they are more or less constant through the height. All this being said I still ordered the new hear/cool control for the brewmaster edition just so I would have a one control, both heat me cool solution.

Going to brew a Belgian blonde this weekend to try out the fermentor.

So I have a couple of the original brew buckets with the ftss system - I'm looking at upgrading to this 7 gallon chronical. Can I hook up my current ftss through this and do you put the temperature probe for the ftss where the small black digital thermostat is on the first post?

My understanding is that the 7 gallon, non-brewmaster edition, chronical uses the same FTSs as the brew bucket.

Back