What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a starter of us-05 for my Cali Common... Must find bottles for my smash! Want to bottle tonight...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Added the second pint of wort for stage 2 of my starter. Had some noticeable activity during stage 1!

This is my first two step starter, btw...

Got a starter going for my Golden Promise lawnmower beer. Two weeks ago, I made a big ol' starter of 1007. When I decanted, I poured about 2 quarts of it into a clear growler and put it in the fridge. An impressive amount of yeast settled to the bottom. So I decanted it and gave it 1.5 qts of fresh wort this morning.

Soaking my new 3 gallon bucket with Oxyclean so I can use it tonight as a secondary.

I'm generally just a primary vessel kind of guy, but tonight I'm going to rack my red ale over blackberries.... so to secondary it is!

Very excited to see how this goes.

Just did the 2nd FG test on my ESB. @ 1.012 two weeks today! That S-04 rehydrated & cooled to within 10 degrees of wort temp worked fast. It's very clear with a nice amber-orange color too. Gotta get ready to bottle it today with my new bottling table. Gotta figure out a new set up.

Just did the 2nd FG test on my ESB. @ 1.012 two weeks today! That S-04 rehydrated & cooled to within 10 degrees of wort temp worked fast. It's very clear with a nice amber-orange color too. Gotta get ready to bottle it today with my new bottling table. Gotta figure out a new set up.

You're telling me! I tested the FG sample of my Caramel Amber Ale (OG sample fermented in a little olive jar to estimate expected FG) and a sample from the fermenter yesterday, FG sample came in at 1.007, fermenter sample 1.009. That's after eight days, and considering the lack of airlock activity on the fermenter, it may have reached that number a few days ago.

It might also have something to do with the incremental temp bumps I've been doing; ~1C a day from the third day of fermentation (started at 18C). Four more days at 24C, then it's down to 12C (minimum for my wine fridge ferm chamber) for a mini cold crash before bottling so I can get going on my new tea beer experiment.

My husband built me a keezer. :) chalk board paint and all. Its so awesome!

1400463047481.jpg

1400463079431.jpg

Soaking my new 3 gallon bucket with Oxyclean so I can use it tonight as a secondary.

I'm generally just a primary vessel kind of guy, but tonight I'm going to rack my red ale over blackberries.... so to secondary it is!

Very excited to see how this goes.

Ok... racking to secondary is finished....the base beer tasted really good..

A two gallon batch and I used two pounds of blackberries.... can't wait to see how much fruity or if any fruity taste is imparted into the beer...

I'm planning on bottling next Sunday or Monday, so one week on the berries.

Put 3 TBSP of PBW in my Cooper's FV after bottling day yesterday. Fill it up to the top of the crud ring & it soaks clean overnight. Got lazy/tired last evening & didn't clean the hoses either,so payin' for it today. gotta get another FG on the Irish red later & see if it's ready to bottle. This week I've got a saison to brew up after cleaning the FV first.

Soaking bottles. Trying to get up the energy to bottle my cascade pale ale. Maybe tomorrow. Weather is too gorgeous today.

Bottled my cascade pale ale and added the oak and bourbon to my bb porter.

Kegged my Lil Sumpin Sumpin clone last night from the "you can brew this" thread. Smelled great. Was first time roasting my own wheat, and brew day was flawless so excited to try it!

After several days of being stalled & then knocking off .004 points,the Irish red raised the airlock center piece up & bubbling occasionally.Can't wait to knock .002-.004 more points & bottle it!:mug:

I've got a pork butt on the smoker, home made baked beans in the oven, and getting ready to bake some cornbread. I think I deserve a beer.

Kegged my Lil Sumpin Sumpin clone last night from the "you can brew this" thread. Smelled great. Was first time roasting my own wheat, and brew day was flawless so excited to try it!

I love "a little sumpin sumpin"!!! Can you PM the recipe to me? I'll try to locate the "you can brew this" thread but I don't think I've seen it before.

Had one fermenter soaking in PBW & a homer bucket with hoses & such soaking as well. Drained & rinsed the hoses & dumped that one into the bottling bucket to clean that one. Drained the fermenter into the homer bucket & dumped that. Gotta rinse & dry it all now that my runnin' around is done.

Picked 4 1/2 cups of dandelion petals for dandelion wine. Not enough, so popped them in the freezer until I can pick more.

Bottled my coffee brown. A little high on the OG, but it will make a good session beer. Hydro sample with the cold brew added tasted great.

Gotta check the FG on the Irish red again. It looks like it finally knocked off those last few gravity points. To bad neither beer will be ready for Monday though.

Bottled my sMasH of Columbus hops and Maris Otter. Hit my FG in the dot at 1.010, down from an OG of 1.050.

Cleaning, de-labeling bottles.
Had to rearrange my beer fridge because my wife needed space for the 6 dozen cupcakes she made for the lake.... :/

Transferred a chocolate porter (Jamil's recipe), and a Caramel Amber (HBT recipe) to secondaries. Then transferred a pale ale to keg for a friend who got put on light duty and can't lift this week.

Then I finally got to try Beard Beer and Lagunitas NightTime!

So technically it wasn't today, but got a couple good homebrew finds recently and started cleaning/prepping them today.

1) A glycol-cooled 8-tap T-tower at a local Habitat For Humanity Restore. Was donated by a restaurant that closed up shop. ~$1200 new, paid $100. Has some minor swirling in the finish and needs a good cleaning/polish, but otherwise good condition for the price. Really excited about this one. :mug:

2) A BeverageAir BKV-BB78-1 3 door 33-CuFt (79"x37 1/4"x28 3/16") fridge. It's in relatively bad shape, but completely fixable and cleanable. Can hold at least 16 kegs, and has a shelf to put my co2 above the compressor on the left side. ~$3000 new, paid $100.

Hopefully I'm mounting the tower tomorrow or Monday.

tower.png

fridge.jpg

Cleaned out my keezer. Literally. I emptied everything out, moved it outside, and hosed and scrubbed everything that dripped into the bottom and started growing hair of its own. Then I refilled my keg of Apfelwein. Got all my stuff together for a Memorial day brew too.

Had to do some minor stuff on the fridge to get the temps back to normal. Gotta find space for 2.5 gallons of spring water to chill for brew day tomorrow. Clean & dry grain catch bucket. Researched & finally wrote my pm Dampfbier recipe. Ordered the ingredients a lil while ago. But tomorrow is saison time. Wanna see what styles are/were traditionally brewed in summer temps. Saison & Dampfbier are two of them..:mug:

After everything my father has done for me, it's the least I could do. He's one of the few people I now who enjoys beer as much as I do. Also, since he drinks more of my homebrew than (I think) I do myself, it was sort of a win win. :mug:

After everything my father has done for me, it's the least I could do. He's one of the few people I now who enjoys beer as much as I do. Also, since he drinks more of my homebrew than (I think) I do myself, it was sort of a win win. :mug:

Young people forget their folks way too often these days. You are made of good stuff.

Brewed a traditional English robust porter. Kegged a batch of extra special bitters and a batch of Fat Tire clone. Ordered the stuff for next week's brewing session.

Latest posts

Back