Few questions re: co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qposner

Reaction score
I bought a 5lb tank and just checked my used corny for leaks. When I pressurized it, the pressure read 10psi. What is the ideal pressure to pour from?

Secondly, the 5lb tank read 700psi in the tank. 500psi says to order more gas. Is 700lbs normal for a new, full 5lb tank?

Thanks!

The full pressure gauge is useless. The pressure will vary a few hundred PSI as the temperature of the tank changes. The gas is liquid inside, so the pressure will stay constant at that temp until the liquid has completely boiled to gas and is gone. Once the pressure starts to go lower than 600PSI or so, it's already basically empty.

The full pressure gauge is useless. The pressure will vary a few hundred PSI as the temperature of the tank changes. The gas is liquid inside, so the pressure will stay constant at that temp until the liquid has completely boiled to gas and is gone. Once the pressure starts to go lower than 600PSI or so, it's already basically empty.

Then what is the point of a 2 gauge regulator?

The gauge will read completely different depending upon the temperature of the tank. So if you keep it in the fridge your going to be showing less than room temp tank.

Pretty much agree that it is almost useless. You get a bit of a warning if you are paying attention to it all the time, but not much. Better off putting the money towards a back up tank IMO>

If you have minimal leakage the gauge will read 6-700 psi for a couple of months or more then it will start dropping and after just a few days the gauge will go to zero. It will warn you but you have to look at it every day.

Pressure and serving temperature are related. I.e. the lower the temp the lower the pressure to keep the carbonation at the right balance.

For example:
@ 32 F - 7 psi
@ 40 F - 10 psi

Depends on the beer. I use 12 psi for most of them, but 2 psi for bitters and milds.

Once your gauge hits 300 psi, it's getting critical. All the liquid is gone and you are literally on vapors. Above that and it's completely dependent on temperature. Which is why many regulators only have a low-pressure gauge.

The best way to check how much CO2 you have left is to simply weigh the cylinder. For example, my 10# cylinder weighs 14 lbs empty and 24 lbs full. I think a 5-lb cylinder weighs about 7.5 lbs or so empty. In other words, if you weighed it and it shows 9 lbs, then you know you have 1.5 lbs of CO2 left in your 5# cylinder.

I appreciate the replies! MAkes me wish I didnt spend the $ on a double gauge regulator.

Back