Sweet taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
I just finished conditioning a steam beer . I'm away from my notes at the moment but it finished right where it was suppose to be.
I kegged it. And had a Lil left over. So I poured a small amount in a glass and tasted it. It tasted very sweet. Not like flat beer.
It's been in the keg for 24 hours carbing up. Will this mellow out the sweetness ? I've never had this before

Hard to know without tasting it or knowing if it is sweet due to under attenuation or sweet as is natural with a beer...if the latter, carbonation adds carbonic acid which will help balance out sweetness.

^ was gonna say the same. All of my brews have tasted night and day difference after carbing. The carbonic acid should help. I also recently switched from being an impatient keg shaker to a patient keg conditioner... Again, night and day difference.

Bensiff said:
Hard to know without tasting it or knowing if it is sweet due to under attenuation or sweet as is natural with a beer...if the latter, carbonation adds carbonic acid which will help balance out sweetness.

I'm thinking the latter....

mrrshotshot said:
^ was gonna say the same. All of my brews have tasted night and day difference after carbing. The carbonic acid should help. I also recently switched from being an impatient keg shaker to a patient keg conditioner... Again, night and day difference.

A shaker?

Yeah lol. The crank the regulator to 30 psi and shake vigorously for 10 minutes kinda guy... A keg shaker! Now I just set it to 12 or so at 38F and wait 2 weeks.

mrrshotshot said:
Yeah lol. The crank the regulator to 30 psi and shake vigorously for 10 minutes kinda guy... A keg shaker! Now I just set it to 12 or so at 38F and wait 2 weeks.

Yo wait another two weeks! I'm not a shaker I let it sit on 20 for a few days back it down to 12 and enjoy a week later..I can't wait 2 weeks! Might as well bottle it then! ;)

Yo wait another two weeks! I'm not a shaker I let it sit on 20 for a few days back it down to 12 and enjoy a week later..I can't wait 2 weeks! Might as well bottle it then! ;)

I have enough in rotation that 2 weeks isn't a big deal lol.

Back