Bragging just a little bit..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbram

Reaction score
So, I'm not usually one to do this, but I just tasted the first AG batch that I made using a recipe that I developed. It's a blackstrap molasses porter (a couple pics below) and it's DELICIOUS. I can't believe I made this in my own basement! What a great hobby!

DSC_1513.jpg

DSC_1516.jpg

Congrats man, looks good. I know a guy who just started brewing, went AG, and his first beer, a peanut butter porter, tasted as good as any I've ever had. Some people...

How much blackstrap did you use? I've heard it's strong stuff.

Thanks rex. Yeah, this surprised me... I developed the recipe envisioning a flavour profile I thought I would like, and this came out beyond my best expectations. I used 10oz. of blackstrap for a 5 gal batch. There is a little bit of a lingering molasses tang towards the finish, but it's not at all overpowering and really pleasant. The residual sweetness of the molasses is nicely balanced with a predominant dark chocolate flavour and nice hop bitterness. I also added more black patent than most porter recipes call for and I used Safbrew T-58, which imparts a bit of spiciness too. I think the added complexity is what keeps the blackstrap from overwhelming the flavour profile.

Made the mistake of sharing with family over the holidays and not hiding 12 or so.... left with 3 bombers from a 5 gal batch.

It's such a great feeling to open that first bottle and discover something delicious that you made. It makes sharing it even better.

Back