cold crash wheat and rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeOne

Reaction score
I'm brewing only my fourth brew. I've made up an IPA recipe using wheat LME, light DME, and rye malt. I've never cold crashed before and I'm wondering if I should for this one. I'm not looking at making a wheat ale per se, meaning I'm not looking to make a cloudy beer. Also, I'm using 1056 rather than a wheat ale yeast.

If I should/could cold crash, when do I do this and at what temperature and for how long?

Cold crashing before packaging will help get you a clearer beer. Some people do it as a matter of course for all their beers, others, like me, don't bother with it all (mostly because we/I don't have a place to cold crash it). If you have the space to cold crash, go for it if you want. I believe the colder you can get it, the better - more particulates will drop out of suspension at colder temps - if you can get it down into the 30s or 40s, you'll be in good shape, but even getting it into the 50s will help some. As for length of time, 2-4 days is probably sufficient.

Back