How to use Star San... too many bubbles!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishart7

Reaction score
1. I know this is a total noob question, but how does everyone use Star San? On my first attempt using it, I got sooooo many bubbles as I filled my carboy. To sanitize my carboy, I first added the appropriate amount of star san and then I began to fill it with water. WOW, there were more bubbles than a bubble bath!!!!! Did I lose too much sanitizer? Do people fill the carboy with water first and then add the star san?

2. Also, after you make a batch of Star San, how long does it last? How do you know you need to make a new batch of it?

3. Also, does anybody leave their equipment soaking in Star San for days? I left some siphon tubing in my ale pail bucket filled with star san and 3 weeks later if felt slimy and cloudy? Should I get a new siphon tube?

Thanks for all of your help!

1. I know this is a total noob question, but how does everyone use Star San? On my first attempt using it, I got sooooo many bubbles as I filled my carboy. To sanitize my carboy, I first added the appropriate amount of star san and then I began to fill it with water. WOW, there were more bubbles than a bubble bath!!!!! Did I lose too much sanitizer? Do people fill the carboy with water first and then add the star san?

2. Also, after you make a batch of Star San, how long does it last? How do you know you need to make a new batch of it?

3. Also, does anybody leave their equipment soaking in Star San for days? I left some siphon tubing in my ale pail bucket filled with star san and 3 weeks later if felt slimy and cloudy? Should I get a new siphon tube?

Thanks for all of your help!

1. don't fear the foam. anything the bubbles touch will get sanitized. Mix a batch in a bucket, adding the SS at about the four gallon mark, and then using the last gallon to mix. Then, just pour a couple cups of the mix into your clean carboy and shake around.

2.lasts 3 wks to a couple of months, depending upon storage conditions. testing the PH is the only way to know for sure if it's still good (below 3.5), but most say it will turn cloudy as it loses its effectiveness.

3. You don't have to get new tubing, but why leave it in there that long? Since it's acidic, don't soak metals for prolonged periods of time.

1. DO NOT FEAR THE FOAM. I just racked a wheat onto a crap load of foam. Its harmless and once diluted works as a yeast nutrient so its a good thing.
2.Its an acid cleaner so as long as the pH stay below a certain point its still good. I forget what that number is exactly. If it gets cloudy its no good anymore.
3. No need to soak for days. A few minutes is all it needs. If you can clean the film off it will be fine.
Sea...you fast bastard

Back