Wiring Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
I'm planning out my 120V 20A single pump, single 1500W element RIMS system. Should be building it in the next month or two. Looking for some pointers and a sanity check on my schematic. Sorry, it's kind of a mess. I used Digi-key's online schematic builder because it's online and free :D. Anyway, I'll describe what I'm trying to accomplish.

* S3 is a key switch that will fire contactor RY1. I'll have a 1A fuse (S5) and emergency stop button (S4) feeding this contactor coil
*H1 is the hot bus, N1 is neutral
* S7 will be a 1A fuse which will feed switch P1 for a 12V pump. 12V adapter will be plugged into 120V outlet
* When the switch for P1 is on, it will also supply 120V to relay RY3. RY3 is controlled by the PID. When the PID fires this relay, it will feed 120V to contactor RY2, allowing RY2 to supply power to switch E1 for the 1500W element. I did this so the element can only turn on if the pump is on.
* S1 will be a 15A fuse for the 1500W element
* I did not show any grounds wired but they will be wired from the power plug to the 120V outlet and terminated on a metal enclosure.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! :mug:
Also, anyone have suggestions for a better schematic program?

RIMS (1).png

at a quick glance everything looks good from what I can tell. (ill admit Im a bit confused by your ssr/pump switching layout but understand your description well) Another thing which I added to my rims setup (I use an 1800w element and 24v dc pumps) is a flow switch which only allows the element ssr to supply power if there is actual flow going through the rims since even though the pump could be running a stuck false bottom of filter in the MT can cause the flow to drop.

I used one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Magn...136035?hash=item233b067be3:g:Yi8AAOSwMmBVzffe

but flipped the spring around internally and orientated it so the float /reed switch inside is actuated by gravity.. otherwise the spring restricts flow. there is more info on this below in my long everchanging build thread below (sorry)

Hm, I like the flow switch idea. Do you just wire one side to a 12V source and a contact will close allowing power to the other wire? I could just add this in series with the 12V signal coming from the PID to my SSR.

Hm, I like the flow switch idea. Do you just wire one side to a 12V source and a contact will close allowing power to the other wire? I could just add this in series with the 12V signal coming from the PID to my SSR.

Its not 12v coming from the pid to the ssr... more like 24v (its supplied by the pid) I wired it in to break this control voltage, yes the flowswitch is good for something like 1 amp and the voltage is in the MA range.

Latest posts

Back