Pectin in store bought filtered apple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsdiggit

Reaction score
I made a 1 gallon batch of apple wine with a store brand clear (filtered) apple juice. The gravity of the juice was 1.051 and I added enough sugar to get it to 1.084. Added to this was some yeast nutrient, DAP, and pectinase, though I wasn't sure if pectinase was needed.

After a couple weeks fermentation with Cote des Blancs wine yeast, the air lock was still bubbling once every few minutes. I got impatient, and decided to cold crash in my refrigerator. The final gravity was 0.996.

After 48 hours in the fridge, the wine was completely clear, and there was a very compact yeast cake, covered in a clear, jelly-like substance. I mean, the yeast was really sealed in. I didn't even need to siphon; I could pour it straight out and none of the yeast cake would mix with the wine.

It already tastes pretty good, and I have it now in another gallon bottle for aging. Success!

I'm guessing the jelly stuff was pectin or whatever the pectinase turns it into. Does filtered apple juice still have pectin, though? I usually use unfiltered juice, and there is so much apple solids in the yeast cake I've never seen this jelly stuff before.

Anyway, no complaints, just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

How much pectinase in how many gallons?

All I can suggest is that you didn't put enough in, the unbroken-down pectin settled to the bottom during cooling and then set. Sounds pretty cool, if you ask me. :)

The bottle was shaken to aerate everything once the yeast was pitched, so I assume so, but perhaps it wasn't enough. In any case, I'm more surprised that filtered apple juice still has significant quantities of pectin.

Anyway, as I said, it was a success, and having a "seal" on the yeast cake made racking easier. I doubt though, whether I'll ever be able to replicate that bit of fortune.

Oh, and it was apple juice with ascorbic acid only, I assume heat pasturized. Can't remember the brand off-hand but I don't recall it being anything unusual.

I have fermented apple juice by adding ~700gm sugar to ~2500 ml of apple juice in a 3l bottle. Just EC1118 yeast, no nutrient, no pectinase. I also dont usually allow it to settle or I stir it up as I'm drinking it.
I have ended up with a nice sweet and high alcohol wine (somewhere north of 15%). Have drunk several gallons of it, and very very good if you like sweet. With 400gm sugar in a 3l bottle EC1118 will ferment it near dry and even better IMHO.

However of late this pectin question has been biting me.
What does pectin ferment into ? And how to take it out before or during the fermentation process ?

Back