How to make a BMC beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitely the BMC

now go out to dinner or something where I want to eat something and relax, maybe I'll have a SNPA but when you just want to stand around and shoot the ****, or do yard work, or boat and fish, situation where I want to drink 10-12 instead of 1-2 then yeah, I will take a BMC type beer every time

What do you think the difference in ABV is between Bud and SNPA?

Bud = 5.0% ABV
SNPA = 5.6% ABV

12 12 oz Bud's get you 7.2 oz of ethanol (that's more than in a pint of JD)
2 12 oz SNPA's get you 1.3 oz of ethanol

I believe the issue is in fact that we all have tastes in regards to beer. Otherwise, we would perhaps have a BJCP style guide that only consists of a few styles rather than the wide variety that it does. The analogy that you gave caters to the beer connoisseur. Chances are you are right. I myself would pick the Pale ale. However, if you presented the same scenario at say......a football game, nascar event, etc... Statistically you would have more people choose the BMC.

But, I'm presenting that scenario to a forum of homebrewers...

NASCAR, hmmm. I wonder how "Dale, Jr. in the Arrogant Bastard #88" would change beer drinking at those events?

Its not just the ABV though, there is also how "full" it makes you feel.

Strictly considering the ABV, sure you could drink 10-12 SNPAs but realistically no you just won't hold that many. Before the 2nd one is gone you'll be slowing down and you'll be full and done drinking before #3. Now a cold Budweiser, two big sips and its gone and you're ready for another one.

Plus SNPA doesn't come in a can.

Yes you are. A forum of brewers that have chosen to brew the beer they like. Why question their taste buds. I would assume that Stone Brewery would have to up their production levels to meet the needs of a growing "following". That doesn't mean that the newly converted Dale Jr beer drinkers are going to enjoy the fine points of a lambic or a pliny either. Again, we all have tastes that are different.

Yes you are. A forum of brewers that have chosen to brew the beer they like. Why question their taste buds. I would assume that Stone Brewery would have to up their production levels to meet the needs of a growing "following". That doesn't mean that the newly converted Dale Jr beer drinkers are going to enjoy the fine points of a lambic or a pliny either. Again, we all have tastes that are different.

But, the gargoyle on the car would look so cool!

Strictly considering the ABV, sure you could drink 10-12 SNPAs but realistically no you just won't hold that many. Before the 2nd one is gone you'll be slowing down and you'll be full and done drinking before #3. Now a cold Budweiser, two big sips and its gone and you're ready for another one.

You could always go for one of these in a can.

21st Amendment :: Brewery * Restaurant * Bar :: Our Cans

yeah I bet I could do some damage with that Hell of High Watermellon

but I bet that IPA would still stop me at 2-3

you just get too full drinking beer like that and then it just sits in your stomach making you feel like you just ate a big meal and you need a nap

while you can drink Natty Light or Coors Light one right after another damn near all day long if its hot enough outside, you'll sweat or piss it out nearly as fast as you can drink so it makes for a more enjoyable drinking session

last Saturday went camping/swimming - it was hot as hell, and I killed an 18 pack of coors light between 10 am and 4 pm, then bought a 24 can case and drank 1/2 of it before 11 pm - layed down about midnight and took a little 5 hour catnap then woke up walked to the bathhouse to piss, walked back to camp and new it was nearly day light, so I messed around and picked up stuff to get ready to pack up while my son slept. Had another 6 beers before we left the camp ground at 9. Got home around 10am and had exactly 5 beers left in the cooler.

Not counting the beer I used for cooking dinner the night before, I figure that makes 36 beers in 24 hours and there is just no possible way that you can do that drinking that Oaked Dead Guy or Raspberry Porter in your siggy. But speaking of your siggy, I would sure like to try to drink 36 in 24 with that Widmer Hefe Clone ;)

I find it funny how defensive BMC drinkers get. It's almost as if they have to justify their tastes to others. I mean, insulting another poster's avatar, that is just silly.

And you don't find it funny how offensive non-BMC drinkers get?

Cue Attack....now:
Fine. You enjoy the watered-down, mass-produced, yellow, fizzy stuff. Your choice. You like drinkability, triple hop brewing, and cold as the Rockies refreshment. To each his own. Just don't be surprised that homebrewers who endeavor to make flavorful and complex beers question why?

yeah I bet I could do some damage with that Hell of High Watermellon

but I bet that IPA would still stop me at 2-3

you just get too full drinking beer like that and then it just sits in your stomach making you feel like you just ate a big meal and you need a nap

while you can drink Natty Light or Coors Light one right after another damn near all day long if its hot enough outside, you'll sweat or piss it out nearly as fast as you can drink so it makes for a more enjoyable drinking session

last Saturday went camping/swimming - it was hot as hell, and I killed an 18 pack of coors light between 10 am and 4 pm, then bought a 24 can case and drank 1/2 of it before 11 pm - layed down about midnight and took a little 5 hour catnap then woke up walked to the bathhouse to piss, walked back to camp and new it was nearly day light, so I messed around and picked up stuff to get ready to pack up while my son slept. Had another 6 beers before we left the camp ground at 9. Got home around 10am and had exactly 5 beers left in the cooler.

Not counting the beer I used for cooking dinner the night before, I figure that makes 36 beers in 24 hours and there is just no possible way that you can do that drinking that Oaked Dead Guy or Raspberry Porter in your siggy. But speaking of your siggy, I would sure like to try to drink 36 in 24 with that Widmer Hefe Clone ;)

That is a whole lot of beer in a 24 hour period and I agree, I think 95% of what most of us homebrewers brew you could not do the same thing with.

I have my first lager attempt and is a simple 2 grain low abv lager that could be drank all day long. As you eluded to with the porter, I agree it is too dang hot for that beer. I knew I wasn't going to get rid of it by the time summer came, but it is actually in the back closet and I just plan to use the last 2 gallons for cooking with and such. The stuff is great for boiling brawts in.

I can't wait to get that hefe on tap as I need some summer beers on tap right away to combine with the lager I have.

I drink bout 10-16 big beers on weekend nights.

I find it funny how defensive BMC drinkers get. It's almost as if they have to justify their tastes to others. I mean, insulting another poster's avatar, that is just silly.

Fine. You enjoy the watered-down, mass-produced, yellow, fizzy stuff. Your choice. You like drinkability, triple hop brewing, and cold as the Rockies refreshment. To each his own. Just don't be surprised that homebrewers who endeavor to make flavorful and complex beers question why?

If it isn't free, I don't drink BMC, especially BMC lite. I've never purchased a BMC lite for my personal consumption. I just don't like it.

Does that make me superior? No, there are dozens of other reasons for that.

I enjoy all beer! Thats why I am a homebrewer.

Latest posts

Back