Beer Temperatures After Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianCSA

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question. Once a beer has gone through the whole 1-3 day fermentation process (as evidenced by FG readings and airlock activity) it is ok to allow temperatures to rise out of the 65-70 degree range?

I brewed a pale ale Friday and saw a nice normal fermentation cycle over the weekend. I kept the beer in a swamp chiller and kept the temperatures in the mid 60s throughout. Now that that process has finished it would be a pretty big chore to keep refreezing water and monitoring temperatures throughout the whole 10 day primary fermentation, but will do so if necessary,

What do you think?

I watch my swamp cooler like a hawk throught the active fermentation then less regularly as it tapers off. During the really active phase it's actually generating heat and needs more attention. By the time the krausen drops I, usually not as vigilant in my swapping of ice bottles. By the time I rack it off 2-3 weeks later it is roughly room temp (which in my basement is about 65-68.

Heck, this time of year mine get up to 76-78 sometimes in secondary, doesn't seem to hurt anything. The first 4-5 days of primary though, I work very hard to keep them well below 70. After that I think it may even be beneficial to let them warm a little as they finish up.

Back