Hops substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Is. Columbus a good hops sub for Magnum? LHBS was out of Magnum. Wanna be sure it's a good sub before I brew 10 gallons.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm brewing an IPA and it does already have Columbus in it, so maybe that was why he suggested it.

Columbus Tomahawk Zeus, called CTZ, is in the American Citrus Hops family. Magnum is in the German noble hop family, I would try Perle, northern brewer, Willamette and Mt. Hood.
If your making an american IPA then the Centennial or CTZ would be fine. Magnum is a very oily hop and that means lots of flavor when used late.

Here's the hops schedule. Magnum and Columbus for bittering hops. I'm starting to think I should just try to pick up the Magnum or Northern Brewer. Hate to spend $$$ for shipping now though for a few ounces of hops. But don't want 10 gallons of beer that isn't properly balanced.

It's supposed to be kind of like Three Floyd's Alpha King Ale.

0.5 oz Magnum (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75.0 min
0.75 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75.0 min
2.0 oz Cascade (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.2 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale

Here's the hops schedule. Magnum and Columbus for bittering hops. I'm starting to think I should just try to pick up the Magnum or Northern Brewer. Hate to spend $$$ for shipping now though for a few ounces of hops. But don't want 10 gallons of beer that isn't properly balanced.

It's supposed to be kind of like Three Floyd's Alpha King Ale.

0.5 oz Magnum (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75.0 min
0.75 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75.0 min
2.0 oz Cascade (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.6%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.2 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale
Just add another half ounce of columbus instead of the magnum, in a 10 gallon batch, I would be willing to bet you could not tell the difference, just my .02, good luck with your brew, sounds tasty.

I've used Magnum & Columbus as my two main bittering hops for IPA's & PA's. They both work fine for that purpose in my beers. I think many newer brewers get hung up on strict substitutions or hop usage, it's fun to swap them and play around.

Back