Brewed 2 beers yesterday and neither are showing signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
After transferring my IPA and Chocolate Hazelnut Porter to the carboy, I covered with tin foil and went out to eat while they both cooled. Pitched a few hours later. Now this morning (9 hrs later), all of the sediment has dropped to the bottom (of both), and neither have a krausen or airlock activity.

**A few changes I made to these batches. These were the first 2 batches I sanitized with Iodophor, rather than 1step. These are the first 2 batches that I used straight tap water (talked to a brewer and he said all the levels of Asheville's tap water are perfect**

Yeast works. You must be patient. 9 hours is a blink of a teeny yeast cell eye. Don't worry unless it's been 72hours elapsed time since pitching.

Wait. Yes, it's hard to be patient. 90% sure it will start showing signs tonight, and in the morning you have an inch krausen there.

I'd say half of my beers get started within 24 hours. another 45% get going between 24 and 48 hours. A few times I've had them take 3 days, and once, in the case of a Nottingham dry yeast, 4 days. Not using Notty any more.

You mentioned nothing about the yeast. Check the yeast forum - on the off chance you used Nottingham, you could be in a jam.

sometimes if you have two fermenters close enough to hear each other, the yeast will just gossip back and forth for a day or two before they get hungry. This is science.

I shook both of the carboy's, and starting seeing action on both within the hour. Maybe I just didn't oxygenate the wort enough to get the yeast going.

Yeast always takes some time to really start showing visible results. Unless you pitch a huge starter, or onto an active yeast cake from a previous batch, 9 hour yeast reaction is super quick and not often seen.

and be careful washing these strains too many times, my 4th generation gossipers mutated and started texting.

My 6th gens actually picture message me from inside the bucket. So now I don't have to invest in glass carboys to see all of the action.

Moral is: Wait it out, good things will happen.

Back