Wort pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
I know nothing about wort pumps. I've never even seen one. I'm not Arnold Schwarzennegfer. I'm sure he would have no trouble lifting a keggle filled with 5 or 6 gallons of boiling wort from a burner at ground level to a picnic tabe so he could siphon the wort through a counterflow chiller into a corboy. My question is will a wort pump, pump boiling wort through a counterflow and then into a corboy?Can the rate of flow be controlled? I read that they pump 7 gals a minute. That's way to fast for my purposes. In fact that's faster than a gas station pump.

Wort pumps are a great asset to any brewery. Lifting a full kettle of hot wort is never a good idea. Coupling a pump with a counter-flow chiller works great. You may find that when the chill water is a bit warmer (like now), you will have to throttle the wort flow through the pump down a bit to get adequate chilling, either that or pre-chill your water.

Although I am not an electrician, I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that using a dimmer switch to control your flow is not a good idea. Electric motors are a funny lot, they are typically designed to run at a certain voltage or else bad things can happen. I've read more than one account of pump motors going up in a puff of smoke over time by doing this. The mag drive pumps for wort are really designed to be regulated on the outflow side via a valve.

Prosit!

Back