Picnic tap foaming issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
I guess my beer is carbed now... because I'm getting way too much head when I pour it. I'm using a picnic tap,12psi,1/4" line and the beer,an APA is cold (though I can't really tell you how cold,my thermometer broke). Holding the tap full open and pouring down the side of the glass the best I can do is half a glass of beer and almost overflowing foam. I've turned the pressure down a bit,to about 10psi ..anything else I can do?

It is very short,not more than 5 feet...but I think it's maybe 4. It is whatever length came with the kegging kit.

I think another issue is 1/4" line. I use 8-10 feet of 3/16" line for 10-12 psi. I also have picnic taps.

I'll try to dig up the chart on temp/carb level/line length balancing.

Yooper pulls through- I believe it is a balance issue. FYI, most kits and such I see come with only 3FT lines. More then likely, depending on beer n temp, I'm guessing 6-10Ft 3/16 lines will help greatly (I still have some issues with my 10FT 3/16 micromatic lines in my Sanyo 4912 conversion).

Yooper's advice sounded so good to me that I went and got 3/16" line and in a few minutes will likely know that answer to be the correct one!

Did you vent the keg before dropping the psi?

If you didn't vent first, you'll still have 30+ psi in the headspace.

Never did have 30 psi...it's been at 12 ever since I kegged it a week ago

UPDATE: 10 feet 3/16" line....full glass, "normal" head. Thanks Yooper! I'm a happy guy.

Back