Q on storing commercial beer in Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
So I'm trying to keep my potential keezer as small as possible. About the biggest SWMBO will allow is the 8.9 cu ft Whirlpool, which looks like it'll hold 5 corny kegs and a CO2 bottle.

I wanted to keep some commercial brew too. If I transfer the commercial beer from their kegs into multiple corny kegs, can I just pressurize the cornies and then remove them from the CO2 and hold them in another fridge until I need them? Will they be OK, assuming no leaks in the keg? Or do I need to actually keep them hooked up to CO2 the whole time I'm holding them?

No prior experience here, but based on my personal research, I would say you should be fine as long as you do not use air to push the commercial brew from its original keg, and don't "splash" the beer into the corney. It would likely oxygenate the beer, which is not good. Other than that, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Since CO2 is heavier than normal air, I wonder if you could fill your corny with CO2 before filling. Then if the beer splashes as you add it, it's not going to be picking up as much oxygen. I've heard of people doing this at kegging and bottling with either a CO2 bottle or with dry ice.

No prior experience here, but based on my personal research, I would say you should be fine as long as you do not use air to push the commercial brew from its original keg, and don't "splash" the beer into the corney. It would likely oxygenate the beer, which is not good. Other than that, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There were a couple of older threads that described pushing the commercial beer to the corny through the OUT post under ~5# of co2 pressure. Seems like the transfer is done with no O2 contact. I just want to make sure that once I do that I can store one or more of those kegs without having to have them continually attached to the co2. That 8.9 cu ft whirlpool only holds 5 cornies. Ain't no room for storing anything except what currently on tap.

Back