Cry Havoc....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
So I never used this yeast before and from what I read it sounds like a good one for Hybrid Ambers.

I am wondering if anyone has used this yeast, what the outcomes were, and if it compares to CaliAleYst. Also what is the taste profile and how would it be in a wheat ale?

I am thinking outside the bottle a bit looking to do a Hybrid Wheat Lagerale. Would this be a viable choice for yeast.

Crying Havoc!!

WW

I have seen this yeast around and never used it. I'm also very curious about it. I'm sure someone's messing with it. I heard it's Chuck P's blend.

It is CP's blend and I hear great things about it as far as fermentability. I never heard though it being used on wheat brews but again, I really have not done too much research on it.

If anyone is out there with a history with Cry Havoc, please let me know regarding the use with wheat beers at a lager/ale temp.....

WW

Not too long after SandLot Brewery at Coors Field opened, Charlie P stopped by for a visit. All of us brewers were greatly honored by his presence.

He had a story and a question for us. He related how Finn Knudsen (former Director of Brewing Research & Developement at Coors and one of the designers of the cylindro-conical fermenter) gave him a sample of yeast one day. "Charlie", Finn said, "This is a VERY special yeast. It will make some great beers." Charlie asked him it's pedigree. Finn would never say where it came from or anything about it. After much prodding, Finn finally gave him a Coors internal reference number.

Charlie proceeded to use this "special" yeast for all his beers. He fermented warm, he fermented cold. He fermented high gravity beers and low. He kept re-propagating it. Multiple generations went by and this yeast mutated into what is now known as "Cry Havoc"

After the story, he told us the Coors internal reference number. He asked us if there was any way we could find out where the yeast had come from. At that time, SandLot was part of Coors Brewing R&D. I called over to the lab and asked the manager if she could look up this sample. She said no problem and would call back shortly.

About 10 minutes went by and she returned my call.

She said that particular sample was taken from a keg of Bud.

Charlie was shocked!

All this time he was fermenting ales, wheats, barley wines, and even meads with Budweiser yeast.

Today, I am sure Cry Havoc doesn't resemble it's progenitor much, but it did originally come from a keg of Bud.

Latest posts

Back